Book 2: Chapter 34

-HER-

One week later...

I squinted my eyes, watching the sun slowly descend behind the horizon. The past few days had gone by in a blur. At this point, I couldn't even tell the days apart. Every day felt the same. Wake up, travel through the hot, blazing desert and then camp at night. Rinse and repeat.

Instead of talking, Alex would cuddle me on the cold, chilly nights. I could tell he was tired, and so was I from the journey, but we still needed to get back, which meant travelling through the grim desert for another couple of weeks.

When I finally heard that we were near the tribes, I was somewhat relieved, but at the same time, I felt uncertain. About what exactly? I couldn't tell, but something had been bothering me lately.

Maybe it was the desert whispering to me at night to leave the place immediately and never return. Or perhaps it was that Vittoria hadn't paid me another visit since that night when things went downhill.

Everything felt too calm and quiet, which, in turn, made me more aware of the chaos inside me. It felt like the calm before a storm, except I couldn't do anything about it. My hands felt tied. My intuition wasn't working as well. All this felt too overwhelming, but I kept it under my skin. I didn't want to make Alex more tense than he already was.

I could sense Alex slowly switching back to his Emperor manners the closer we got to the tribe. It reminded me that we weren't here on a mere break from the court. No. We were going there for an official court matter, and I could feel the tension between his other men grow, too. So I let them dwell on it while I tried to deal with that odd feeling myself.

But despite my best efforts, I knew Alex could sense the restlessness inside me.

"Go away, Theresa," I heard the desert whispering to me, ruffling my hair and breaking me out of my chain of thoughts. A shiver ran down my spine, and I straightened up.

"What is it?" I almost jumped out of my skin, hearing Alex's voice so close behind me. I must have gotten too lost in my thoughts to have sensed him standing behind me.

"N-nothing," I breathed, glancing at the setting sun for the last time before facing Alex. He stood beside me, tall and brooding. I couldn't see his face in the progressive darkness, but the rim of his eyes was starting to glow. I could feel the intensity in his eyes as he studied me. "How far are we from the tribe?" I asked before he could push more.

"We will be there by tomorrow morning. It's right behind the hills there," He nodded in the distance, and I glanced in that direction.

"Is it the tribe refusing to send you its warriors?" I asked him. I was aware of the purpose of this trip because, indirectly, those warriors would end up fighting for me. This made me much more invested in this.

"No, they live farther west, but currently, we're going to one of our strongest tribes. They're expecting us," He told me with a mindless nod while his glowing eyes still lingered on me. "Can't show up to a warrior tribe unannounced,"

"What if they don't cooperate?" I couldn't help but ask. When I wasn't busy picking through my intuition to figure out what was about to go wrong, I thought about the current issue at hand. And to be honest, it didn't help much to calm my nerves either.

He shrugged and answered, "I behad the chief and get a new chief who is loyal to the throne,"

"You speak as if there would be no bloodshed," I commented.

"They're warrior tribes. All they know is bloodshed," He told me, grabbing my arm.

"And you're taking me to them," I joked. He stilled, and his head snapped towards me. I could feel the charged tension running through his body due to my sudden and unexpected remark. I meant it as a joke but I didn't expect him to take it so seriously. Even though it was dark, I saw his nostrils flare in anger.

"No one will ever dare to touch you as long as I'm alive," He told me fiery, and for a brief period, his eyes switched completely to glowing red, making me gasp. Before I could step away, he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to his body.

In the chilly desert, the warmth of his body felt so welcoming despite his glowing red eyes and the rage radiating off of him. I should've felt scared and at least attempted to push him away, but I did neither of that. Instead, I put my arms on his chest and peered into his red eyes, looking deep into them and almost getting consumed by the desire simmering in them.

"It's a good thing you're here with me. I cannot wait to show them their future queen," He whispered huskily, making my stomach dip. I was so lost in his mesmerizing glowing red eyes that it took me a couple of moments to realize that his voice had turned deeper and more guttural.

Again, this should've alarmed me, but no. Instead, I felt more and more gravitated towards him like a moth to fire.

"I cannot wait to show them that you're mine," He growled, putting another arm around me and pulling me closer until there was nothing between us. Our fronts were plastered, and I could feel every inch of his body pressed against me, making me wish we were alone. "I cannot wait to make you mine in every way, Theresa," He whispered, trailing his lips along my jaw in that suggestive manner that always made my pussy alive with a needy throb.

"Alex!" A voice in the distance interrupted me. I should've felt relieved, but I felt more disappointed when his hot, needy mouth disappeared from my neck.

"You should go," I told him, suppressing a groan. I could tell that he was frustrated with it, too. He finally stepped away after giving me a possessive, heated look. "Come to the camp," He told me and left.

"It'd be too late when you realize it," The desert whispered to me again. This time, the gush of wind was too strong... almost angry. I decided to follow him immediately.

~
vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free.

Read the complete book on Patreon. The links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3