Book 2: Chapter 13

-HER-

I watched the whole court speaking against Alex. My eyes were glued to him. He sat on his throne, his whole body tense. He was quiet, listening to everyone accusing him of things he didn't do.

A lump was building in my throat, and my whole being was telling me to speak up, but all of a sudden, I seemed to have lost my words somewhere. I seem to have lost my ability to speak. I watched the chaos unfold in the whole court, and it was starting to unnerve me.

I couldn't stay silent anymore even if I tried. I couldn't see him facing accusations, and I had a feeling that if I didn't speak up then things would get worse from here. The way he was quietly watching everything gave me the chills.

Something was going through his head. I could tell. A shadow cast on his eyes but I was able to notice it— his eyes were switching colour. I noticed how his fingers were digging into the armrest. Something about him was switching, and it was beyond anger.

No. It was far more dangerous than that. So dangerous that it could lead to a river of blood flowing through the courtroom. With my heart pounding in my chest, I looked around at everyone present in the courtroom to see if anyone had noticed how Alex seemed to be switching. Or maybe it was only me.

I could feel a shift in his aura. Something dark was bubbling inside him, ready to come out. Maybe, only I could see it because I was a priestess, or maybe it was because I was his mate. Whatever the reason was, I could tell that something was wrong with him.

He was on the edge, and I needed to stop this chaos before things could go south. I rose from my chair, getting everyone's attention.

"I, the princess of Somirea, declare that the King of Cromirea didn't kidnap me. I came here with him on my own free will," I announced, shushing everyone for the moment. All the eyes were on me, and for that moment, I didn't mind. I watched Alex. He straightened up on his throne, his eyes still pitch black.

I noticed how his fingers had turned into talons that were digging into the armrest of his throne. My heart shivered in my chest. This wasn't good.

"And why did you come here?" Alex's brother asked me. He had been the loudest so far. I wanted to go there and smack him across his face for fuelling this drama in the first place. However, right now, I needed to answer something. A very important question.

A lot depended on what I was going to say next, and this realisation tightened my chest. I swallowed hard and glanced at Alex again. He was watching me with hunger, but it wasn't the kind that made me wet between my legs. No. It was a different kind of hunger. The kind that often made chills snake down one's back.

But I have to do this. In another situation, I'd never admit this out loud, but this was different. I needed to save him, and there was only one way to do that.

"Because I love him," I declared, as proudly and as openly as I could. In the manner of the princess that I was, pulling gasps from everyone's lips. I had thought that my words would calm down the room but no. Instead, it made the situation worse.

What followed next was something I couldn't handle anymore. Now, the accusations against Alex were worse. Everyone was accusing him of being with the enemy and how he was going against the rules for keeping me here.

I didn't understand this bit. Alex was a king, after all. He could have anyone he wanted, yet these people made a big deal out of it. But maybe, there was something. He had told me that there was some curse. Maybe, it had something to do with it, but for now, I watched everything in silence, blinking tears.

I seemed to have made this worst than it was. I was now regretting speaking up as the voices rose.

Suddenly, a thunderous growl ripped out of Alex's lips and shook the whole courtroom. Everyone fell silent all at once. Alex stood up from his throne, a feral look on his face. Finally, everyone seemed to have noticed it.

"I brought her here because she is my mate," He growled out loud. His voice was deeper and guttural. He didn't sound like himself anymore. No. Instead, he sounded like an animal, a demon, an inhumane spirit that had an unquenchable thirst for blood.

"Didn't the curse bar you from having a mate, brother?" Still, after all this, Dervis had the audacity to speak. Did he have a death wish? I could clearly see the blood thirst in Alex's eyes. He could snap any moment.

Alex responded with another threatening growl that drained blood off of most of the people's faces.

"Curse or not. She is my mate, and anyone who has a problem accepting that would be executed without a trial. She is the Werewolf King's mate, and she shall be treated as such, and anything less than that would be considered treason. She might be a Somirean princess, but she is the future queen of Cromirea, and nothing is going to change that!" His voice boomed through the walls as he spoke.

This time no one had the audacity to speak, even Dervis, but I knew that he wasn't done yet. I knew that he wouldn't accept it so easily because of the way he was looking at me. Pure hatred simmered in his eyes. I swallowed and looked away.

"The court is dismissed today! Now get out, everyone!" Alex roared. Almost instantly, everyone left. I wanted to leave, too, but the way Alex had pinned me with his eyes, I couldn't move an inch. I stood in my place until the whole courtroom was empty.

The guards closed the courtroom doors on Alex's command, sealing me here with him. I swallowed hard as I looked into his pitch-black eyes.

"Come here," He demanded.

~

vote. comment. share. follow me

Read the next 4 chapters on Inkitt for Free. Read up to the next 10+ chapters on Patreon. Click on my bio's "support me" button to get there.

Also available on Patreon: Mr Night Book 2, A Touch of Desire, Monstre, Marmadoke and many other stories.

Follow me at Instagram - benita.ritz

thanks for reading<3