𝐗𝐕𝐈. 𝐜𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐜𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐝𝐝𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐞𝐬

-HER-

"Where did you disappear?" Vittoria demanded after I had walked up to her hesitantly.

"I was just roaming around," I fibbed. She narrowed her eyes.

"Roamin where? I know you weren't in the market. I combed this place for you," She challenged, digger her probing eyes into me as if she could see through me. 

"I was roaming around the town," I replied. I couldn't think of anything other than that at the moment, and surprisingly, she didn't ask me anything further. However, something devilish gleamed in her eyes as she gave me a sweeping look.

"I thought you had already gone to see your brother. I'm sure you must be dying to meet him," she teased. "anyway, let's get going. I cannot wait to see your bother," 

I almost imagined the tips of her lips narrowly tugging up as if in a smirk, but it vanished soon. The expression that hung on her face made me somewhat worried for my brother, even though I loathed him the most these days. I'm sure that he'd be beyond stunned to see the High Priestess herself there— yes, he fvcked up that bad. 

"But where did you go?" I asked her as we headed out of the market.

"I had to meet an old friend," She answered with a tone indicating any more questions on this matter would be unwelcomed, but I didn't care. 

"You have friends outside the shrine?" I pressed, "Isn't it in the Part IX of the Shrine Codices that one has to give up all the relationships before joining the Shrine?" I questioned, hoping that she would notice I had been paying attention to the study of Lagrifiri Codices lessons.

"The Codices also says that the High Priestess and the Matriarch are authorised to exceed the rules under Part IX if the situation mandates," She struck back. "And besides, we are going to see your brother. Aren't we?" She reminded.

"I don't remember the Codices making any exception for Royals," I told her. I'd have been pleased if she had come here without me because I didn't want to see my brother, nor did I want to deal with Vittoria.

"The Codices entitles the High Priestess to create exceptions in extraordinary circumstances," She quoted, and I sighed deeply.

Of course, Vittoria knew the Codices better than anyone else.

"Did your cards tell you to meet the old friend?"

"Don't bore me with your questions, Theresa," She spoke, glancing over her shoulder. Suddenly, the sense of being watched itched my skin. I dared to peek over my shoulder to catch a glimpse of Nico. My heart stammered. Vittoria added darkly, "and be grateful I'm not grilling you for your sudden absence. I'm sure you must've some of your friends to catch up with,"

For a moment, I was terrified that Vittoria might have found out about Nico. Before I could defend myself, she grabbed my arm abruptly and dragged me away from the streets.

"Wha—"

"We're being followed!" She hissed before we broke into a run. I knew who it was, and this added to my dread. We ran towards the town and took cover behind a house. "I hate doing this," Vittoria muttered to herself and took her shawl off her shoulders and flipped it over the two of us.

Suddenly, we were standing in one of the Royal gardens inside my brother's palace. The feeling of being watched faded immediately.

"You could have done earlier," I suggested crudely. 

"I don't fancy using my abilities until they are urgently required," She answered, wrapping the shawl around her shoulder. "Now, let's meet that dunce brother of yours,"