𝐋𝐗𝐈. 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞

-HER-

After meeting Herran that day, I mostly kept to myself. I didn't know what he was planning to do, but I was sure he meant what he said. However corrupt, he was still a man of his word. On the other hand, I was starting to question Vittoria's motive for sending me here. Whatever it was, I could tell I wasn't living up to her expectations or anyone else'.

As my brother's words rang in my ear, I felt a stab in my heart. I didn't want to accept what he had accused me of doing, but at the same time, deep down inside me, I knew that he was right. Awfully right.

I was betraying everyone I knew... This realization made me hate myself. Day by day, I was starting to feel more and more worthless. No matter how much I tried to keep myself occupied with work, that feeling of disgust was slowly seeping into me, corroding my soul away. It still impacted me no matter how much I tried to deny this.

The next day after I was done having Fiona's lessons, there was a visitor— Viscount. It had been a few days since I had seen him. I had enjoyed my time with him, but I didn't get the time to miss him or reminisce about it.

He briefly met Fiona while I waited in the garden. I knew he would come there if he needed to talk to me, and I was right. He eventually came into the garden while I was pretending to be busy with some flowers.

"I assume everything has been alright since I have been gone," He spoke to me.

"Yes, you can say that," I replied, turning to him. He stood tall with his hands in his pockets, studying me with a pensive gaze.

"Are you sure?" He asked grimly after a long pause.

"Yes," I breathed.

He nodded before pulling out a familiar-looking scroll from his pocket and holding it between his fingers. However, he didn't make an effort to hand it to me yet.

"I heard there was a fire in the Emperor's wing," He stated, his eyes darkly fixated on me.

"That's what the rumours say," I spoke as a shiver ran down my spine. It took me an effort to remember Krifari's dead face. It was starting to haunt me in my dreams.

"I hope you are looking after yourself,"

"I have been," I nodded, eyeing the scroll in his hands. I knew instantly that it was from Vittoria. "Has Vittoria sent a message for me?" I asked him even though the answer was obvious.

He nodded and handed the scroll to me carefully. I was about to open it and read the message, but I decided not to do it in front of Viscount. I had a feeling that my reaction to Vittoria's message wouldn't be a pleasant one. It was better Viscount didn't see it as well.

"Pardon me for asking this, but by any chance, would you have any time to spare in the next couple of days?" He asked, laying his words out with caution. I was surprised by his question.

"I am sorry, but I wouldn't be able to go out soon," I told him apologetically. However, I would have loved to go out with him. Even if for a brief moment, I am sure it would help me calm down. I wanted to get out of this palace for good.

"That's understandable," He nodded more to himself.

"Did Vittoria say something to you while giving this to you?" I asked him, holding the scroll in my hand.

"Not really," He answered after a pause, seemingly in deep thought. "Would you like me to say something to her?" He asked instead.

"I was wondering how long we are supposed to be here,"

"As long as she is here," He told me. "Why? Are you missing the shrine?"

"No, I'm..." I trailed off, unable to put my feelings into words. It wasn't like I could talk to him about Herran and my brother. Even though it suffocated me, I couldn't tell him anything. He waited for me to speak, but I gave up.

"Is it that servant?" He asked, taking a step closer to me. The warmth of his voice suddenly disappeared. "Has she been bothering you?" He asked coldly.

"No, it's not that," I shook my head, "It's just.... I-I don't like being here," I told him, fighting my tears. Suddenly, a lump was starting to build at the back of my throat. My brother's words were ringing in my ears again. All this made me want to run away from here and never return. "I hope this is over soon," I told him, blinking tears.

"Something's bothering you," He commented. "And you don't wish to talk about it," I was surprised at how accurate he was at reading me. I gulped, afraid that he might see right through me if he spent some more time here.

"I cannot tell you everything," I decided to come clean.

"I understand," He spoke, but I could see in his eyes that he was holding himself back as well, "But it's always better to share your worries with someone you trust," He spoke, gently touching my arm. There was an unfamiliar emotion simmering in his eyes that I had never seen before.

"I don't think I'm ready to do that yet," I told him.

"That's alright. I will try to visit you regularly," He assured me, holding my hand up before pressing his lips on it.

~

After he was gone, I rushed to my bedroom. It was then when I finally opened Vittoria's letter. I wasn't expect ting much from her but still, I was eager to see what she had in store for me this time. I held my breath as I almost ripped open the small scroll, slightly tearing the parchment.

I read the message once, but it didn't make any sense to me, even though it was written very clearly. I read the words again and again until they settled in my head.

It read— 'Everything is fair in love and war.'

I tossed the message in the hearth and instantly lit it on fire. I was shaking with fury. It felt as if she was playing with me. No, she was clearly playing with me. I have just walked into another trap of hers by agreeing to come here with others.

She was using me for her own gains. I shouldn't have trusted her in the first place! Though my biggest fear wasn't this. It was that Herran was starting to be proven right about Vittoria.

I was at the crossroads again.

Who do I trust? Herran or Vittoria. While my head was stuck between the two, my heart gave me a third option— to trust myself.

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read the complete book on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: His Scarlet Match, Saint, Mr Night Part 2 and many other stories.

Thanks for reading <3