𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈. 𝐚 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐦𝐲

-HIM-

"I'm alright," I gritted, but the healer continued to examine my arm. The veins were more prominent now, especially when my cursed blood coursed through them. I winced as another surge of pain traversed my arm before shooting straight towards my heart.

"No, you're not!" Lars gritted. "Your negligence is making you suffer!"

"It's a curse, Lars," I reminded him, "No matter what I do, it's not going away,"

"Still, taking those herbs regularly would have stopped you from—" Before he could finish, I bent down, and blood gushed out of my mouth and splashed on the floor. I heard Lars shouting in the background as I heaved more blood, feeling that jabbing pain in my abdomen.

I was feeling slightly bad previously, but it got incrementally worse until I felt trapped in my own body. I wasn't aware of what was happening in my surrounding. I could focus exclusively on the taste of blood on my tongue and the pain of that curse coursing through my veins.

Someone was screaming... I realised it was me. I was the one roaring in pain, screaming to be set free from this body, but I doubted leaving this body would help me. The curse wasn't on my body. It was on me— the soul. I was paying the price for a crime I had never committed. There was no way out of it. It was my only destiny.

Gradually, the pain subdued. I was able to calm down and see the world around me. I was surrounded by a dozen healers scrambling around to save me. Meanwhile, Lars looked down at me with apprehension and anger.

"You've gotten worse," Lars noted.

"I know," I mumbled, my voice broken and barely recognisable. Lars looked at me with frustration and shook his head.

"You don't take this seriously enough," He complained.

"I take it seriously, Lars," I lied. He looked on the verge of punching me and hugging me at the same time. "But there's nothing anyone can do with this. It will happen to me one day. I could only delay it," I reminded him.

"But still, you got worse this time... was it because of her?" He asked. "You let her go again,"

"She is supposed to be like that, Lars," I tried to explain to him, but he shook his head. "And she said she hates me,"

"How do you know?" He asked.

"She told me herself..., and she calls me a mutt king," I cried out, half in pain and half in agony.

"Wait for a second. Does she know that you—"

"— no, we were talking, and it came up. She told me she hates me without knowing she's talking about me," I lamented, and Lars sighed deeply.

"Your life's so fvcked up," He told me, "But somehow, I'm the one who feels frustrated,"

"Brother!" A familiar cry interrupted us. Lars sank deeper into his seat after hearing that voice, "Brother, I heard you're unwell!" Dervis barged into the room, shoving some of the healers away to see me.

"I'm alright now. You don't have to get worried about me," I told him, composing myself to hide my weakness.

"That's a relief to hear," Dervis replied sarcastically, eyeing the tube in my arm, draining out the poisoned blood from my veins. "I'm sure you'll be good as new in no time,"

"All because of your well wishes," I smiled sardonically, flashing my canines at him. He narrowed his eyes at me, smiling back slyly.

"Then I'm guessing you'd be attending King Khazar's anniversary celebration. I'm sure he sent you an invite," Dervis said. I exchanged a look with Lars.