𝐋𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤

-HIM-

The last day of the celebration had already begun. I should have been feeling relieved since I was finally going to return to my kingdom. I was sure a lot had been going on there in my absence. I wondered what my brother might have been up to in my absence and how far along his wife was.

Instead of feeling relieved, I felt deeply disappointed and dejected because I hadn't gained much in the past few days. Theoron's stubbornness had kept us from arriving at a proper agreement against the threat from the Zuncans, things about Theoron's sister were still unclear, I still didn't have any clue about Valdemerca's stolen book and most important of all— my mate didn't want to be with me.

My time here felt utterly wasted. Accepting this invitation in the first place was now making me look like a fool. Maybe, I shouldn't have gotten into Khazar's and Nanda's words. Nonetheless, I intended to see them for the last time too. In the meantime, I had someone look out for my mate. I was going to take her with me at any cost, whether she liked it or not.

As the sun shined brighter in the morning, I met with Theoron. It was just the two of us. I was preparing to see his Royal Advisor, but he was not to be seen anywhere at that given moment.

The air between us was instantly buzzing with tension when we met. He kept his appearance warm and welcoming, but the hostility in his eyes was hard for me to miss.

"I feel bad things are finally ending," He said, his voice heavily dripping with sarcasm. I might have played along with him in another situation, but given what happened last night, I didn't have much patience left. His advisor had tried to kill my mate, and I am sure Theoron must have been aware of it. But at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if he weren't aware of the bloodbath of last night. He was a puppet Emperor after all.

"I've had fun hosting you. The past few days have helped me get familiar with you," He spoke, giving me a half-smug smile.

"I had fun learning about your kingdom too," I dished back, keeping my tone cold and grim, "Your mages must be very skilful for imitating a mate bond," I added. He gave a short, dry and humourless laugh in response.

"I know, I know. My mages are exceptionally skilled. If I knew earlier that you had a hobby of grave hunting, then I might have as well arranged something of that sort for you," He said darkly.

I chuckled and replied, "I didn't know that Somirean Royals had a thing about faking deaths and empty graveyards. That sounds like an interesting ritual before a change of throne,"

"And I certainly wasn't aware you had a thing about meddling in other's business," He said darkly, the suggestive smile eventually evaporating from his lips to leave behind a sneer. I chucked again.

"Says the one who invited me here after a failed silent invasion,"

This is where Theoron's tolerance seemed to have snapped because he could see that he wouldn't win this way. Instead, it was starting to make him look like a fool. I watched as all the warmth drained out of his face.

As the mask came off his face, I could see his intense loath for me. It was to the extent that I could smell his blood boiling. He truly hated me, and I wasn't oblivious to that. It was in his blood to hate my kind. We had been fighting since time immortal.

Why would things be different this time?

"You know," he hissed, advancing towards me with his fists clenched and lava erupting out of his eyes, "You're still in my palace. Anything can happen here,"

I cocked an eyebrow at him and smirked. "You talk like a child. If you want to do something to me, then do it now," I said, turning to him while pinning him with my eyes. I stood a few inches taller and wider than him. I knew he noticed it immediately, but he didn't step back. "There's no one here to interrupt us. If you wish to settle some squares, then go on, try me. There won't be a better opportunity. I'm always ready," I told him grimly, stepping closer to him and holding his glare.

We stood there in silence, exchanging glares while the air sizzled with tension. I could see the loathing in his eyes intensify gradually while his body grew tenser and tenser. He had his jaw clenched, I could hear him grinding his teeth and his knuckles cracking as he tightened his fists. But he didn't touch me yet.

"What happened?" I asked. I was ready for things to go down already. All I needed was a serious reason for this. "Don't want to fight me anymore?" I taunted, "or are you waiting for your Royal Advisor to tell you what to do next?"

My words fed his rage, but he still didn't do anything. His body was shaking due to all the rage that he contained in himself, and he couldn't let it out on me.

"I can do a lot of things, but I don't hurt my guests," he gritted. His words made me laugh again.

"Or you know exactly what will happen if you dare touch me," I suggested darkly. I could see my words pushing him closer towards the edge, but he was making a huge effort to hold himself back.

"I can show you all the ways you underestimate me, Alex, but unlike Cromeria, mutts don't run this place. It's a civil place. We don't resort to hooliganism to settle matters," He spoke with that pompous tone that made me grate my teeth.

"I didn't know assassinations were considered civil," I provoked.

_

The next 3 chapters are free on Inkitt. Read the complete book on Patreon. The Links are in my bio.

Also available on Patreon: His Scarlet Match, Saint, Mr Night Part 2 and many other stories.

Thanks for reading <3