𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈. 𝐩𝐢𝐭𝐜𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐛𝐞𝐬𝐭

-HER-

"Call me Theresa from now on," Fiona snarled at Viscount.

"You seem to have gotten too deep into the character," Viscount noted while taking a seat. Even though he spoke lightly, I could see it in his eyes that he wasn't pleased with her demand.

"Viscount, I've to convince everyone that I'm the real Theresa. We must start acting accordingly," she explained. Viscount said nothing but stared at her darkly with a blank expression. "Anyway, you told me you brought some girls for me,"

"Yes, I did," he straightened up, glancing at me. I entered the room, and the three of them followed me inside. Fiona scanned me from head to toe with her scrutinising eyes.

"Where are they from?" She asked, "They look like they've been starving their whole lives working at a farm," she remarked. I heard Arke cracking her fingers behind me. "I don't think any one of them would know anything about being a lady in waiting for a princess,"

"If you think so, then I must take them back," he sighed deeply, rising from his seat, "I thought you might like them. After all, they've worked for the Akalan Queen," Viscount mentioned casually.

"No, wait! Did you say the Akalan Queen?" Fiona asked, rushing to stop Viscount.

"Yes," He answered curtly.

"Okay, I will see them," she declared. Viscount smiled at her slyly before sitting back. "What are your names?" Fiona asked.

"My name is Theora. This is my sister Nuncia. Her name is Arke, and that's Doria," I introduced everyone.

"All of you have worked for the Akalan Queen?" She probed. I shuffled on my feet hesitantly, and I glanced at Viscount. What did he get us into? He nodded assuringly.

"Yes, all of us have worked for her," I told her.

"If you all worked for her, then what are you all doing here?" She asked, narrowing her eyes and sinking back into her seat.

"Our time was over. She hired us temporarily," I explained.

"Hmm... you sound experienced. Anyone cannot be my lady in waiting," she said, flickering her hair while staring us down with her judgmental eyes. "Do you know anything about Princess Theresa?" She asked.

"I've heard quite a bit about her," I told her politely. Nuncia coughed slightly behind me.

"... but you don't look the part. I mean, yeah, you worked for the Akalan Queen but tell me more about yourself. Why should I choose you all to be my lady in waiting? Convince me," Her demand made Viscount slightly uncomfortable. I could see that he was about to interrupt, but I spoke up.

"Miss Northmaker, I know why—"

"Call me Your Highness or Princess Theresa," she corrected me instantly. I took a deep breath in to collect some patience.

"Princess Theresa," I spoke calmly, "We are the most skilled women you could ever have as your lady in waiting. You see, Nuncia has been sewing before she could talk. She'll make sure you always look your best no matter what. Her dresses would make you the subject of everyone's envy. Sure, you're a princess, but Nuncia will make you look like a Goddess Queen who has descended on this earth to be a treat to everyone's sore eyes.

Arke might look like a man in women's clothing but let me tell you, being a princess isn't easy. People would have their evil eyes on you and wish bad things happen to you. They'd try to do bad things to you, but you wouldn't have to worry about such things while Arke is around. She can fight a Knight or a bear to protect you. Of course, you'll always have Royal Guards to protect you at all times, but there are places where a Royal Guard cannot go. In such times, you'd need someone, and Arke is the one.

Doria might have a long nose, but her ears are the ones that make her highly valuable as a lady in waiting. You see, everyone likes to talk about a princess, and indeed, everyone will talk about you as well. Though most people adore Princess Theresa, there are a few who don't like her. They'd try to sabotage you at every step; they'd try to put you down by talking bad about you, by spreading rumours about you. Doria's the one who's good at dealing with Rumours. She will act as your ears by poking her long nose in everyone's business,"

Fiona giggled, and Viscount burst out laughing when I finished talking.

"I might consider having you all as my lady in waiting," she laughed but straightened up and looked at me grimly. "But, what about you? You didn't tell me anything about yourself. Why should I have you as my lady in waiting?"

The room was plunged into a ghostly silence. I could feel everyone in the room growing tensed except for Fiona and me.

"Princess Theresa," I started, "wasn't an ordinary princess. She could do things no other person in Somirea could do. Sure, a girl could dress like her, talk like her, act like her, but no matter how hard she tries, she could never be her,"

"What do you mean by that?" Fiona asked grimly, sitting on the edge of her seat. I could see that my words might have triggered her. The air in the Northmakers' living room grew thicker with more tension.

"Fiona—" Viscount tried to interfere, but she continued, "Are you trying to tell me that I couldn't be Princess Theresa?"

"I didn't say that," I replied curtly.

"Then what did you mean by that?" She asked. I clenched my jaw and looked right back into her fierce eyes fearlessly. Everyone was watching me, holding their breaths. I might have crossed the line here, but I couldn't care less.

After all, I had told the truth.

"I will teach you things only Princess Theresa could do,"