𝐕𝐈. 𝐥𝐢𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐧𝐚𝐦𝐞

*Song above - Coffin Dance (Bardcore | Medieval Style)

-HER-

"Well, looks like you are a healer," He said. I shrugged, but his countenance said he still didn't want to believe me. His eyes lingered on me for a second longer while the man who had been earlier tending to the cursed returned only to be surprised to find the previously cursed gasping for breath, the black scars slowly dissolving in his skin as if they weren't there in the first place.

"Take him from here," Nico told him and gestured me to exit the tent. I left without uttering a word. 

"I think my work here has been done," I announced, turning to face him without any warning, making him walk right into me for a second. I took a staggering step back to make sure that he couldn't touch me again because the last thing that I wanted to feel at that moment were those strange sensations that eroded my rational thinking... or any thinking in general. Regardless, there remained little room between us, making me aware of every molecule of air that set us apart.

"Do you have a short memory?" He asked me, puzzling me momentarily until I recalled the last bit of the deal I had struck with him earlier.

"No," I answered, taking another step back because my heart was unnecessarily trying to break through my sternum for some unknown reason. 

"Then give me your name," He demanded as if I owed him money.

"I wonder why you're so hellbent on that,"

"You can have my name, but I can't?"

"No,"

"It would be a delight knowing you as you've saved my friend's life, and besides, if you work with us, we'd require you to call you something sooner or later," He tried cajolery. "What is your name, mate?" He asked, taking another step closer, eating whatever distance remained between us until our hands were brushing, and those same strange sensations climbed up my arm like vines, poison vines that threatened to corrupt my judgement. 

"What if I don't wish to give you my name?" I inquired carefully. 

"Why wouldn't you?"

"I just don't want to," I shrugged, but it seemed like he wasn't going to take a 'no' for an answer because he ended up devouring the remaining distance, towering over me. 

"Give me your name," He demanded again.

"You sound as if you're entitled to it," I glowered, trying to control myself. 

"Because I am, now, what are you called?" He asked. His voice accommodated an undertone of annoyance without losing its authoritarian character. He continued, "Why were you alone in the woods tonight? How did you come across the bandits? Was it all some malicious design?" A wicked look filled his features as he asked the last question. 

"Why would you think that?" I breathed, matching his cold and overbearing gaze.

"I have a lot many reasons," He answered curtly.

"Then I have a lot of reasons to be sceptical of you as well. Who are you truly? You don't look like you belong from anywhere here. Who are these people, and why do you have those weapons?" I inquired back, matching his grilling tone. He returned silence.

"All this just because I am asking for your name?" He finally surrendered.

I almost walked into his trap with that. 

"It's..." I trailed off, thinking of a name. Of course, I wouldn't give him my true name because Nico wasn't his actual name. And even if it was, I wasn't under any obligation to provide him with my true name.