Chapter 1: A new class

Pov y/n

My nerves act up a little as I step into the building. I take a few deep breaths to calm myself. This is the third time I'm doing this, why am I still nervous to start a new class?
It's not like the people in there will eat me alive or something. My eyes dart over the room numbers, to find the room I have my class in.

Foreign literature, there it is.

I step into the classroom and look around. There are already a few students sitting at the desks, either chatting with each other or being on their phone.
I look around until I find an empty table in the second row.

Maybe it would be smart to sit with someone who took this class for a bit longer, so I am not completely lost but I am too nervous to interact with people right now.
Somehow, it always makes me nervous to start a new class because I never know what to except and how the other students are. Good thing, I don't seem to be able to find a major that I'm really interested in then.
Yes, that was sarcasm.

I wish I was like Yelena, my best friend, who knew what she wanted to do since high school. She's studying computer science and for the first semester I went to the same classes as her, hoping they would be interesting to me as well, but they weren't.

The semester after that I tried math but it was horrible and I decided to take something completely different.
So, now I am sitting in foreign literature, unsure what to expect.

Slowly, more and more people fill the room and I look at the clock, only a few more minutes until it starts. I heard that the teacher is supposed to be a little strict but very good at her job, so I am looking forward to meet her, especially after the old professor I had last year.

Miss Romanoff is her name and something about the name sounds familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it.
I get everything out to take notes and nervously chew on my lip. My phone buzzes and pulls me out of my thoughts. I look at it and smile, Yelena texted me 'good luck'. She's really sweet and always supports me, no matter what I settle on. Sure, she was a little skeptical at first when I told her about my choice but she still told me to go for it.

I mute my phone, just to be sure it won't ring during class and divert my attention back to the front, just as the teacher walks in.
She gives a small smile to the class before walking to her desk and putting her bag down. Her beautiful red hair, falls in slight waves over her shoulders. She wears a black blazer, that surprisingly looks a little like leather, something I've never seen so far. Underneath it, she wears a white top and dark grey jeans, that hug her legs tightly. To top it off, she wears black high heels that I am impressed by, I could never walk on those.

"Welcome to a new semester, students." She greets us and walks around her desk to lean her backside against it, her palms resting on the flat surface behind her. Her green eyes scan the classroom. Her voice has a little rasp to it that honestly sounds pretty hot.

"As I can see, we have some new faces here, as well as old ones. To everyone who isn't new: welcome back. And to everyone who took this class for the first time: Welcome to foreign literature, I'm Professor Romanoff." She introduces herself and a tiny smile plays around her lips. A light mumble goes through the classroom, consisting of greetings.

"I hope we will have a successful semester." She concludes before grabbing a clipboard from her desk. While reading off the names and ticking them off on her list, her eyes dart to each student for a second, probably to try and remember their name.

"Y/n Y/l/n." She reads out and I unvoluntary get slight chills at the way she says my name, noticing the mildly Russian pronunciation of it, even though she doesn't have a Russian accent at all.