Chapter 34: The game

Pov Natasha

I was kind of excited to go to the game. Not just because I wanted to surprise y/n but also because I’ve never seen her play before and the way she talks about it sounds, as if she really likes it and I like seeing her happy.

I will also mentally support her. As a teacher I can’t exactly cheer for one student without it being suspicious. I can watch the game though, so that’s what I’m doing.
Since it’s not that warm anymore, I am wrapped up in my jacket and some gloves that keep my hands warm.

I settle on one of the benches next to the field and let my eyes sweep over it. There are only a few students so far, they seem to just be warming up but I don’t mind.
I search for y/n but she doesn’t seem to be here yet.
There are also other people already here, some are chatting with each other and some call across the field towards their friends.

I have a cup of tea with me in a thermos mug and enjoy the warmth that comes from it.
I notice the players with our college symbol and smile, taking a mental note that we will be playing in white today.

Soccer isn’t really my sport, so I barely know anything about it but that’s okay, I will enjoy it.
I watch more and more students come onto the field and then, finally, I see my girlfriend.

She’s walking onto the field with her blonde friend, Yelena and another brunette that I don’t know.
Even over the distance I can tell she’s excited and it warms my heart up to see her like this.
The sports clothes look really good on her and I can’t take my eyes off her. She’s talking to her friends and they walk over to their team and start to stretch a little before doing different exercises.

When her eyes look over the crowd, she spots me and they light up in surprise and I see a wide smile on her face, almost melting my heart. She’s adorable.

Her eyes move further over the crowd and she waves at someone.
I take a quick glance and see three other young people, probably students that wave back.
Then she smiles at another person before going back to the exercise.

Around ten minutes later, everyone gets into position and the game begins.
She plays in the middle of the field, running back and forth, depending on where the ball is.
Sometimes she calls over to a team mate and they give her a signal.
Seeing her in action makes my feelings for her grow somehow because it makes me realize that this is her life, this is what she likes to do and what she enjoys and I am able to witness that.

I get sucked into the game and hold my breath when her team gets the ball and moves towards the other team’s goal.
Y/n has the ball and passes it over to another girl before getting it passed back.
A girl from the other team comes running towards her and I almost can see how her face scrunches up a little before she goes for it and shoots the ball into the direction of the goal.

It’s quite a long shot and the more I am impressed when it flies past the goalie’s gloves and into the net.
That’s the first point for her team.

She screams happily and the rest of the team cheers loudly as well, running towards her and within seconds they are in a pile that used to be a hug.
They dissolve again and y/n beams, her clothes stained but she doesn’t care. Her eyes move over the crowd and I smile proudly at her.

Soon after that, there’s a break and I use that time, to get up, my butt feeling a little cold. I walk around a bit and suddenly stop when I see a familiar face.
We make eye contact.

“Natasha?” The brunette asks and I am slightly confused because I can’t quite tell from where I know her from.

“Yeah, hi.” I greet back and she seems to sense my confusion and gives me a warm smile.