Chapter 4: Thunderstorm

Pov y/n

With each passing lesson, I start to understand less and less what we're talking about. I stare at my book and then my notes that I don't really understand.
Yes, I wrote them down but that doesn't mean I understand what they mean, I just noted down what people were saying because it sounded smart.

The only good thing about this is, that I am too focused on not understanding anything, to think about Miss Romanoff and my weird crush on her. It got stronger with each class and when she corrected my notes one time, my heart felt like it would beat out of my chest because I was so nervous, in a good way, I think.

Sometimes, I feel like she's looking at me but I stopped looking up to see if I'm right. For the record, I was right, like 60% of the time.

But now my thoughts swirl around things people said and the book we are currently working with. I kinda thought that foreign literature would be easy but it turns out it's not.
My eyes dart to the student that's currently talking and I listen to him, noting down random words he said. This is not gonna end well if I don't study or catch up or so. It's only the third week and I already feel lost.

In a short break between the lessons, I cross my arms on the table and let my head rest on top of them, internally groaning.
When I feel a soft tab at my arm, I look up and am surprised to see the face of one of my classmates. She has blonde hair, that's goes to her chin, and light blue nail polish on her finger nails. Her hand still rests on my elbow and she smiles friendly.

"Hey, I'm Jess. You look like you're totally lost on this topic, no offense." She introduces herself and I chuckle a bit.

"None taken and you are right, I am." I sigh and she smiles softly.

"If you want to, I can help you study a bit?" She offers and I look up at her, surprised to say the least.

"Yeah, sure, that'd be great honestly." I say and she smiles a little more.

"Cool. How about tomorrow, at the college library? I find the learning atmosphere there quite nice." She offers and I think about it for a second before I nod.

"Sounds good. I have practice that afternoon though, so around 6 pm?" I ask and she nods in agreement.

"Can I give you my number? Just in case something comes up or so or practice takes longer." She asks and I pull out my phone.

Jess does the same and I give her my number and she shoots me a quick text, so I have hers too. She waves a little at me before going back to her seat, next to a friend, I assume.
When I look up, I meet the piercing green eyes of my professor, who seems to have noticed our conversation.

Her face doesn't show any kind of reaction or emotion about it but something in her eyes tells me she's upset or something. I chose to ignore it though because she has a private life and maybe something is going on there, nothing that concerns me.

Her eyes are also very intense and somehow it makes me feel a little hot, so I divert my attention to putting my phone away and writing down when and where I will meet Jess tomorrow.

The rest of the lesson, I can feel a certain tension radiating off Miss Romanoff and I'm not sure if I'm just imagining it or if she seems to send a few daggers towards Jess when she doesn't look.
A part of me thinks that might be because of her and my conversation just now but as if my teacher would care if I study with a classmate.
I mean, sure, she cares in a way, that she's probably happy I'm putting effort into staying on top of this class but that's nothing negative.

After class, I meet Yelena for lunch, which this time is nothing from the cafeteria but from a nearby store. We meet up with Kate and MJ and spend the lunch break together, before I have another class.