Chapter 40: Bad news

Pov y/n

I’m pacing up and down outside the building, my thoughts spinning around my head so fast that I can’t get a hold of any of them.

But I know that all of them are similar: Nat is in trouble, she will get fired, she’ll lose her reputation, she will be mad at me, this is over, someone found out, we are screwed.

“Hey, calm down.” I hear Yelena’s voice and look up to see her. She drops her bag to the ground and comes to me, placing her hands on my shoulders and stopping my pacing.

“What happened? What’s code orange?” She asks and I have to take a breath, afraid I might start crying.

We came up with the code system early on in our friendship.
It just tells us how much we need the other person right now.
It goes from yellow to red.

If one of us texts red, which luckily never happened so far, it means immediately find the other one, something is horribly wrong.

Orange is, find the other one asap, she needs you but it’s not as urgent as red.

And yellow is, make sure to find the other one soon, there’s something that needs to be talked about.

“She got called to the principal.” I whisper, my hands gripping onto Yelena’s coat, needing something to keep me steady.

“Oh.” She replies and pulls me into a hug. I hug her back, not letting go because I need her support right now.

“I’m sure it’ll be okay.” She says and rubs my back a little. I shake my head.

“I don’t know. That’s the thing. There was no further information and it sounded not good. What else could be there except that someone found out?” I ask and Yelena takes my hands, giving them a little squeeze.

“Y/n? Do me a favor and breathe with me, okay? In… and out…” She does so as well and I copy her and after a few breaths I calm down a little, my thoughts still racing though.

“We don’t know anything yet, so let’s not assume the worst.” Yelena says, leading me to a bench nearby.

She doesn’t care that she has a lecture right now or that I have one, she’s here to take care of me and keep me calm and I appreciate that endlessly.

“But what if it is the worst?” I ask and she shakes her head.

“Then you can think about it then. Right now, it’s better for you to stay calm. You can worry when you know what’s up but right now, you don’t. So, try to push those thoughts away. It could be something completely harmless, maybe about the upcoming midterms or so.” She says in a calming voice and I breathe slowly, trying to settle my nerves.

She’s right, we have no information right now and maybe it’s not as bad as I’m assuming right now.

“She will inform you about what’s going on, I’m sure. And until then, you should try to stay calm and not let those thoughts overwhelm you.” Yelena says and I nod, she is right. Somehow, she always manages to calm me down and say the exact right thing.

“Okay, yeah, I can do that.” I say and she smiles a little, rubbing her thumb over the back of my hand.

“How about we grab a coffee or tea and distract you?” She offers and I nod in agreement and let her pull me up.

She leads me to the campus café and we sit down and order some drinks.
To distract me, she tells me about the project MJ and Peter showed her on Saturday and how proud they were. For a while I just listen to her and push away any thoughts.
That works until my phone buzzes and I never pulled it out of my pocket this quickly.