Chapter 25: The dances...and the Eckart's regrets

Quote: 'Virtually nothing is impossible in this world if you just put your mind to it and maintain a positive attitude.' - Unkwon. 

--------- ----------- --   

Location: Eorka, balroom 

(henry's bithday)

Austin and Duke Eckart have been glaring at each other for forever, no one seems to move or do anything.

Duke Eckart was frowning, 'Damn it, I have to find a way to make up tol Penelope.'

Austin was smirking, 'ha! Serves you right! Bastard. Be grateful that Penelope told me to spare ya'll otherwise you would have been dead and gone to hell a long time ago.'

The staring contest goes on and on.

"Father!" A sweet voice caught the attention of the two dukes along with the twin brothers and Adriana.

"That's your dad?" Diana wishered to Penelope as Penelope just simply nodded.

Penelope failed to notice DUke Eckart as Austin's broad shoulder was covering her sight. She was going to run up to Austin but Lucas caught her eyes. So instead she and Diana walked towards Lucas and Yvonne made her way towards Duke Eckart.

"Brother! You are here!" Penelope exclaimed as she hugged Lucas.

"I am! Do I need to kill someone?" Lucas asked playfully.

"Uhhh noo? Why would you?" Penelope questioned.

"Ya the pinkie dude." Augustine said.

"Oh ya, that rude bastard. What was his reygold...rayfold?" Diana said.

"It's reynold." Penelope answered.

"Doesn't matter. You must be Diana, Heard of you from my old pal. I am austin. Pleasure to meet you." Austin said.

"Nice to meet you too!" Diana exclaimed enthusiastically.

"The ball's half way. Did you have fun?" asked Augstine.

"Oh, Penelope. This is Adriana, my Fiance." Lucas Introduced.

Penelope suddenly developed two invisible ears. "Hello, I am Penelope. Nice to meet you. I see, you both have agreed on the engagement. That's nice. I am excited to have you in the family...." Penelope rambled on as she shook Adriana's hand. Diana smiled softly and made her way towards her twin. Adriana on the other hand was overwhelmed from all the attention.

And when did she agree to the engagement?

"They look happy. Lady Diana is also nice. I like her bright personality."

"..." The duke couldn't deny it, Penelope really did look happy and it seems he never tried to understand Penelope. She was just a child who needed love to grow, and learn. He wouldn't say he was never proud of her, the first time Penelope came to his office with her study result he was proud that she had gotten marks in eighties, but somehow he chased her away saying yvonne would have done better. He, to this day, wondered why he had said that. The test was obviously something Penelope had done the first time. Someone who never had the chance to get proper education got that good.

'She always looked gloomy and serious in the Eckart mansion. So why does she look lively there? What changed?' Reynold thought. He never really understood the reason why Penelope left. No, let me rephrase that, he understood why she left, but he never could accept the reasons. What did they do wrong? They could have been closer if she joined them during dinners and got out of her room.

(Dense bastard, go kill urself)

'Did she just hug her brother in public, and the way she is behaving is very improper. Tsk, what did I expect?' our dear demon Derrick thought. He knew, and he understood everything that was going on. The tension between the two families, the reasons Penelope left but for him the reputation comes first, his family's reputation had gone worse after Penelope left (bitch not that worse, people are glad she left, what are you going on about?) Anyways, That's what he thinks. Somewhere inside him, he is guilty, not a bit but a lot. He had known about the abuse and about Reynold's plan to sue Penelope about the necklace, but he still hadn't done anything about it. HOw would we know he was regretting? Well, for someone who has never touched Alcohol before was now drinking it every chance he got. He would randomly visit Penelope's room too.