Special Chapter: Cooking with Valkyries (Part 1)

24th December 2016, 5:00 PM

Bronya's Special Borscht

The sound of engines, horns blaring, vehicles trapped in congestion, and snow falling as winter approached. All cars were trapped on the bridge, and the four got caught. Mei, Y/N, Captain Müller, and Himeko were shopping for groceries an hour ago.

The Captain dropped his head on the steering handle, impatiently waiting for the car to move for hours. Himeko was leaning by the frame of the window. The other two were in the backseat, sharing the same feelings as them but not showing it.

He watched the scenery of the cars in line, with snow falling down upon the view, while listening to the music through his pair of wireless earbuds.

Just like my country...

Mei sighed, knowing they would be late, so she took out her phone, then contacted St. Freya Dorm, where Kiana and Bronya resided.

———

"What?! You can't make it back?"

Kiana was on the phone, receiving Mei's voice through the speaker, saying they would be late to go back due to the traffic jam.

"Got it. Be careful out there...." She then closed the call, putting the handset back on the push-button telephone.

She closed her eyes, sighing after hearing their words. "Mei said they can't make it back in time. Guess we'll have to chew on some bread..." she said to Bronya.

Knowing that they would be left to starve if they didn't replenish their strength, Bronya decided to make a dish with her best knowledge of Slavic cuisines. She headed towards the fridge, opened the door, then took a carrot.

She glanced at Kiana. "The Bronya shall initiate culinary protocols."

"What? I think I'd rather chew on some bread...."

Kiana muttered and held her hands on her neck, then placed her elbows on the table, expressing her troubled look. She had to wait on Bronya to make the dish.

The latter was in the kitchen, prepping ingredients on board, chopping onions and potatoes, and dicing beets and carrots. After all the ingredients were prepared, she dragged them to the pre-heated stockpot from the chopping board, except the potatoes.

The sizzling sound came out as she stirred them up to release the flavor. Then, she added the beef stock to the pot, letting them simmer for minutes.

Bronya was staring at the simmering stockpot. But a second passed, and she noticed something was missing from the ingredient. She left the kitchen to take something.

Kiana was in deep slumber until she heard footsteps pass by the dining. She snorted, barely opened her eyes, and gazed at the sound; where it was Bronya who went to her room.

Bronya went inside her room, turning the lights on, then she crouched in front of her bed, where she lifted the sheets and dragged out a hidden box.

Kiana followed along, seeing her friend open the box, revealing a stack of canned food branded 'Spetsreserv Beef Stew.'.

"Why do you have such a huge stash of food?"

"They are emergency rations."

Kiana spotted the video game disc tray by the box as she snatched one, letting out a small huff and smirking.

"Okay, what's this then?"

"The proof of true soldiery...." Bronya seemed embarrassed, forming a slight red blush on her upper nose. She forgot that she hid the disc underneath it too.