Episode 9-1: Moonlight in the Tundra

監督 武居正能
脚本 武上純希
Director: Masayoshi Takesue
Screenplay: Junki Takegami

The winter season was ongoing for 3 months. Snowflake particles flowed from the night before the moon, piling up the land into a white snowfield. The entire field of St. Freya Academy was also piled up with snow.

It was 00:07, 3 hours after the life-staking mission that resulted in mayhem and destruction, rescuing their captured squad of the Hyperion. Though the mission was a success, neither team celebrated its victory as two of their squads were unconscious and must be treated at once.

Mei, Bronya, Theresa, Wendy in the wheelchair, Fu Hua, Himeko, and Juggler kept silent and didn't break a dead quiet scene.

The Hyperion squad was outside the medical bay ICU of St. Freya Academy, waiting for the diagnosis for the valkyrie and the knight while also watching the doctors treating them from the window.

Inside the ward were Kiana Kaslana and Y/N, in their capnography mask, who was resting on a separate bed and had passed out for a strange reason that only Bronya and Mei knew.

Sound of the electrocardiography beeping in a stable rhythm. Both were breathing at a steady tempo but still unresponsive.

Outside the bay, Theresa was self-deprived, staring at the ground blankly. She heard everything from Wendy's story, with how she fell into a pit of stress when she was about to tell how bad Y/N getting tortured to death by Cocolia. She could tell from her face how traumatized Wendy was, even unable to comprehend some words.

Himeko leaned against the wall beside Juggler. She folded her hands between her mouth, worrying about the fate of the two.

Fu Hua stood beside the door, leaning against the frame, with her hands crossed while looking at the ground, hoping they would be fine. She was concerned about Y/N's condition the most. She had never been worried when she discovered the wounds on his right arm and cheeks. With Kiana starting to take care of him, she thought that she no longer needed to worry about him being lonely, but Fu Hua still couldn't help it when she saw those wounds on him.

Bronya and Mei sat beside Wendy in the wheelchair, in their cold and silent, remorseful expression, holding hands together to let the pressure off their heads and shoulders.

Bronya and Wendy were the only valkyries who witnessed Kiana and Y/N's agonizing incident before their eyes. At the very least, Bronya's denial finally paid off in relief after she found out that Y/N and Kiana were still alive.

Mei remembered how she and Bronya had tried to wake them up while waiting for aid from the Hyperion squad. She tried to nudge Kiana as best as possible, like Bronya to Y/N. With how they held hands, Bronya somewhat found out to be cute, while Mei simply acted with slight jealousy.

One thing that bothered Mei and Bronya the most was someone disguised as Kiana. It turned out to be one of the Herrscher. The word Herrscher was a red light for them, should they encounter one.

However, they realized that the Herrscher was unlike anything but a passive, friendly ally and didn't have any malicious intentions present on it or plotting to kill anyone in its sight. Evidenced when it showed its genuine apologetic intent for using Kiana's body and leaving its last words to take care of their friends.

Not wanting to make their leaders troublesome, Bronya and Mei agreed with each other to keep their secret about their encounter with the Herrscher. Despite it being friendly, they still set their wariness high, as Herrscher was known to be an entity that eradicated humanity.

Minutes passed, and the specialist doctor arrived with the test results in his hands as a binder. Theresa and Himeko approached the doctor with desperate questions, while Juggler only followed them still in his stoic face. Fu Hua moved away from the wall, awaiting his diagnosis.