Chapter 7

Lewis had spent the evening before being curious. He had left his talk with Christian the previous day feeling as if he had achieved something, but he wanted to be sure that Max had gotten the crib and that he was feeling happy with it.

Only after he had gone to his room, Lewis realised that Max might have felt anxious about his room suddenly changing, or perhaps even afraid if his dad was going to find out. But it had been too late, and Lewis had just tried to sleep the worry away.

Now it was morning, he couldn't help but being unable to resist the gnawing feeling in his stomach. He realised that it was just his caregiver instincts wanting to know that the little was taken care off correctly, that he finally slept well and safe in the crib, and that the little wouldn't be mad that someone had interfered.

It didn't take long before Lewis realised that the only way he was going to get rid of those feelings was just to go to the Max his room and check it out. Once that was done, he could go on his way, and hope his instincts wouldn't flare up everytime he saw the Red bull driver.

It was already hard enough when Lando was near, and most of the time Daniel was there as well and he knew that the little was doing okay. Unlike Max.

With a sigh, he went to the elevator, waiting the few moments until he reached the right floor, and stepped towards the door. Lewis did hesitate there. He could knock and check it out, but then Max would know it was he who interfered, and what else could he have as a reason to be there.

Lost in his thoughts, he looked at the elevator signal, seeing it go down and then come up, stopping at the same floor and to his surprise it was Charles that stepped out, his eyes widening when he saw the Mercedes driver standing in front of the door, before they narrowed in suspicion.

"What are you doing here?" both of them asked the same time, and for a moment both man could just stare to each other.

"Me?" Lewis asked eventually, and Charles nodded, still looking slightly suspicious when he approached.

"Yeah, what are you doing at Max's door? And at this time?" the man asked. Lewis was thinking of an excuse, not wanting want to betray Max his secret. Not that it was really that big of a secret, but he had a feeling that the little wasn't about to spread it into the world, even though Lewis suspected it was entirely because of Verstappen senior's wish.

"What's that?" Lewis asked, deflecting the question, and pointing at the bag Charles was holding. The Ferrari driver, looked down at it, his eyes big in surprise.

"This, it's... it's nothing," he stuttered, trying to hide it behind him and looking slightly flustered.

"Nothing? Are you planning to play a prank or something?" Lewis asked, his brow furrowed. Charles tried to deny, but he barely uttered a few words before Lewis lunged forward unexpectedly, grabbing the bag out of the other ones hand, wanting to make sure that Charles wasn't about to prank a little Max.

Charles didn't let go off the bag, holding it tightly in his hand and trying to pull it out of Lewis's hand, who had a tight hold on it. The bag almost instantly ripped, spilling its contents on the floor. The little tube of diaper dream fell right next to Lewis's his foot while the powder rolled a little further.

Charles swore in his head when he saw the items lying in front of him. He had only wanted to check up on Max, wanting to make sure the little was all okay and that he got some help with the rash before it got worse. He hadn't counted on the Mercedes driver to give him the third degree and to actually try and grab the bag out of his hands.

"Oh," Lewis said, staring at the stuff lying on the ground while Charles quickly went down to pick them up, flushing slightly. He hadn't meant for anyone to see. He wondered if Verstappen was going to be mad if he needed to tell Lewis about his designation. Charles really didn't want to risk saddening the little, and his mind was going 100 miles a minute trying to find an excuse why he was carrying such items on this floor.