Chapter 59

Charles watched Brad lumber off, the man yawning when he walked in the bedroom. The door was kept ajar, and Charles flushed a little when he saw Brad take his shirt off through the crack, revealing a sculped back.

Quickly, he turned his head, and aimed his attention to the two littles, who seemed to be playing nicely, even though they bot seemed to look exhausted as well. Secretly, Charles suspected that they both would benefit from a nap, but he could already guess what that suggestion would give.

Max was playing one handedly with a car, the other hand holding tight on bunny's ear, chewing it and wetting the fabric, while Lando was sitting on hands and knees, looking through Max's toys while the diaper bulge stood out.

"Maxie, you should use a paci," Charles said, making the little look at him.

"Paci?" Maxie asked, feeling very small all of the sudden.

"Yeah, this thing," Charles said, going to Brad's bag and glad that he managed to fish one out pretty quickly.

"Oh, look, our colours match," Lando said enthusiastically, showing his own off, both of the orange, even though the shade was slightly different.

"Oranje," Maxie said, and Charles frowned at the weird pronunciation, not realising that Max had slipped into Dutch for a moment.

"Yeah," Lando said, not caring for it, "come, let's play with your blocks,"

"No," Maxie said, pointing at another toy, and excitedly bouncing, and looking surprised when he fell over.

"You want this thing?" Lando asked, frowning at the rattler he was holding up. Max made a small noise, and with a big smile reached out, managing to lay down on the floor.

Hesitantly Lando gave it to Max, who turned a little sidewards and shook it hard, giggling at the noise.

"Clickity clack," Maxie said, his pronunciation thick. A moment later the paci was spit out and the rattler ended in his mouth.

"Oh, I think he's a little baby now," Lando said, looking at Maxie, who was happily mouthing the rattler, then took it out of his mouth and shook it, wanting it to make noise. Lando pulled a face when some of the spit ended up on him.

"Shh, Maxie, Brad is trying to sleep," Charles said, making the little stop and look startled. He craned his head, looking at the door.

"Braddy sleepy?" Maxie asked, and Charles nodded.

"Yes, he is, so we must be silent," he explained, even when the little turned to his tummy and looked at the door with a frown.

"Miss Braddy," Maxie said, and before Charles could answer, Lando was already talking.

"He's not far, so that's okay," Lando said, "sometimes caregivers need naps more than littles,"

"Oh," Maxie said, looking in surprise at Lando, not ever really having thought about it, "Braddy nap time,"

Charles smiled at the little, who seemed to be reassured now. He took the paci and held it up to Max's mouth, who took it in, and discarded the rattler in favour of crawling closer to Lando and seeing what he was doing.

The two of them started to clumsily build a tower, and Charles sat back watching them. A yawn escaped him, and he had to admit that he was more tired than he let up. Looking at the littles play, he felt his eyes start to close on their own volition.

The next moment, a loud crash sounded, and the two littles started to cry when their tower had collapsed. Panicking Charles jumped out of the couch and quickly tried to hush them.