Chapter 35

Max sat on the chair looking at the two man, and couldn't help but shift nervously. A time-out? So, just sitting on a chair.

He gave a nervous twitch and Brad gave a worried gasp, making Max look at him wide-eyed, wondering if he had done something wrong. Perhaps he wasn't allowed to move either.

But Brad wasn't telling him off, even though his leg was nervously twitching with micro movements he always had difficulty controlling. The whole situation was very confusing to Max. Oh, he knew he deserved a punishment.

There was really no way he was getting out of this one, he knew that, no matter how much Bradley might say he was a good boy. But... was this really all the punishment he was going to get?

He had asked, wanting to be sure and both adults had said that this was it. Surely, there must be something he was missing about the time-out thing. Perhaps something came after. This was just to make him anticipate what would happen once those three minutes were gone.

He gave a small gasp and jumped when the timer Brad had put on began to beep.

"Time's up," Fernando said helpfully.

"Here, let's get you off the chair," Bradley said the same moment, not even waiting for Max to answer and just lifting him up from the chair. Max tensed slightly, still feeling unsure about it all.

Brad was feeling relieved now the time-out was over, and he couldn't stop himself from patting the diapered behind in comfort while slightly bouncing the little, almost expected him to start bawling because of the unfair punishment.

"Maxie punishment over?" Max asked when nothing else happened, looking at the caregiver, who nodded gingerly.

"Yes, all over now, okay?" Bradley affirmed.

"Sure?" Max asked, still looking doubtful. It would be silly if they lied about it now, but for it to be over already? Brad would sport his teeth marks a lot longer and it would have been much more correct if Max had sported a bruised bum during that time as well. His dad would have said that it would serve as a reminder of his bad behavior.

"Really sure," Brad said, sounding happier now. The caregiver took him to the couch and sat down, settling Max on his lap.

To tell the truth, Brad was having the intense desire to keep Max close. It was clear that the little could use all the comfort and love he could get, even if he didn't realize it himself, and Brad just couldn't let him out of his arms now.

They sat in silence for a moment, the tension building up again while no one really knew the best way to go from there. Max was shifting in agitation, jumping slightly when he wetted himself and making a whimpering noise.

Brad looked at him in worry, and he suddenly felt himself pressed closer to the caregiver, who patted his back and was making soothing noises, hoping to calm Max down.

"Well, I see that you got all your toys out," Fernando said, suddenly, pulling the attention to him. He grinned at Max, wanting to put him at ease. The little looked at Fernando, and then down at the toys the man was gesturing at. Then he glanced at Brad, unsure.

"Uhm," Max said, "I clean up?"

"No, don't do that," Fernando said, annoyed at himself for making the little feel as if he needed to clean the toys, "why don't you show me which one you like best,"

"Don't know," Max said after a moment, shifting a little on Brad's lap, still with the arms wrapped around him. He stared at the toys, barely even remembering what they all were, "all new,"

"They aren't all new. You got the tin here," Bradley said softly, glad that Fernando had taken the initiative to make a conversation. He leaned over and took the tin box that Max had brought, and held it in front of the little who hesitantly took it.