Chapter 42

Max was quickly feeling his confidence draining while he walked in between the two caregivers down the hallway. Outside wasn't far, and even though both had said he could go small when he was out, he just felt his heart beat faster and faster in his chest.

"Everything okay?" Charles asked, feeling Max start to slow down and instead of pulling the two caregivers forward, he was making them hang back.

"Don't want to go shop," Max said, his voice small. He shrunk in himself, knowing that it meant he couldn't go buy bunny his toy fruit, which made him feel sad. Bunny had gone through so much because of him, and here he was cowering to do something back.

His dad was right, he was just a wimpy coward.

"Why not?" Bradley asked, turning around so he could look at Max, who just shook his head and angrily wiped a tear.

Charles threw a glance at Brad, unsure how to proceed with Max suddenly so reluctant again.

"We could just skip it?" the Ferrari driver suggested.

"Mmmh, we can," Brad said, thinking while he glanced at Charles before turning back to the little. He saw Max nervously bite his lip, and shift a little, "but I was thinking, how about the two of you go to the apartment already, and I buy bunny's treat?"

"You'll do that?" Maxie asked, his eyes wide, "can try to go big?"

"I'll do it, no problem. That way, you can stay little until later," Bradley said, hoping that Max was willing to. He rather try and keep the little on the same schedule everyday as much as possible, so he would get used to when to be in headspace and when he shouldn't.

"You can go with me," Charles said, "we can play a little until Brad arrives,"

"Yeah. I'll pick our food with me at the same time," the trainer said, glad that Charles was there with them, "Charles will take wonderful care of you, I'm sure,"

Charles flushed at the smile he got, seeing that the other caregiver was convinced of his ability to help Maxie out, even though he didn't feel the same. Charles smiled hesistantly back, before he nodded, trying to be as confident as usual.

"Brad is right," he said, squeezing Max's hand, "now let's get back to the hotel, and then we can see who can drive fastest with your toy cars,"

"Oh, that's me," Max said, enthusiastically, smiling widely, "I won last time too, remember,"

"I do," Charles said with a chuckle. False modesty wasn't really one of Max's traits.

It didn't take long to take Max back to the hotel, and he let them in with the card Brad had given him before he left on his own. The moment the door opened, Max was off, going to the room and he returned with bunny and the tin he recognized from before.

"Look, bunny is still owie," Max said, showing the where the ear had been newly attached, "I told him about the surprise,"

"You did?" Charles asked amused, and Max nodded, "but now it's not a surprise anymore,"

"Bunny doesn't mind," Max simply said, "he's very happy,"

"Oh, is he," Charles said, looking around the room, and already spotting a few things here and there that at least said littles lived in. The bottle drying on the counter and the sippy cup standing ready on the table was already quite a welcome sight instead of Max's usual room.

"Yep," Max easily said, opening the tin and taking out his cars, aligning them on the coffee table.

"So, how is it going with Brad?" Charles asked when he took the red car. He had been curious about how the two of them were doing, especially seeing all the changes that had happened in Max's life recently.