Chapter 41

Max could barely stand still while Brad was putting the cloth in the waist of his shorts, eager to continue playing.

"I'm going to win," Maxie informed the caregiver confidently, a big smile on his face, "I'll run as fast as I can,"

"Good," Brad said with a smile, finishing up with the cloth, and patting Max's bum, "go, I'll count to five,"

Max didn't need telling twice, and he ran off, stopping a little away and giggling excitedly while Brad counted. The moment the caregiver started to run, the little started to react turning fast corners and jumping over the obstacles Brad had put ready before.

Brad had to admit that it was difficult to keep up, but he was managing, and Max seemed to understand. There was still a smile on his face when he ducked away and ran, and Brad grinned.

"Going to get you soon," he singsonged at Max, who laughed.

"No, Maxie run," the little said, his breath a little ragged but still full of energy.

Brad chased him, and to his surprise, the little managed to slide right in between his legs and suddenly he opened the door and was running off into the hallway of the complex.

"Max, stop," Brad called out in panic and started to chase Maxie, who thought it was all part of the game they were playing and ran even faster laughing loudly.

He saw the little look behind him to see if Brad was still following, just when Charles turned the corner, his gaze fixed on the screen of his phone.

"Maxie, watch out," Brad said, but it was too late. By the time the little looked in front of him, he already crashed into the startled Ferrari driver, sending the two of them on the ground, the momentum carrying Maxie into a wall with a thud.

For a moment it was all stunned silence.

And than Maxie started to cry loudly.

"Oh, Maxie," Brad said, falling to his knees next to the little, looking in concern at him.

"Is he okay?" Charles asked, having gotten up and limping to them.

"I don't know," Brad said, looking a little lost, "where does it hurt sweetheart?"

"Owie," Maxie said, "owie,"

"Oh, you poor thing," Brad said, "can you sit up?"

"Here, let me help," Charles said, and together with Brad, he managed to get Max seated upright, the sobs already getting a little softer, but he was still sniffling, snot running from his nose.

"Here, let me help you with that dirty nose," Charles said, taking a tissue from his pocket and holding it to Max's nose. The little blew hard in it, emptying out his snot, "so, what happened here? Why were you running away from Brad?"

"Wasn't running 'way," Maxie said, pouting, and wiping his eye with the back of his hand, "was training,"

"Oh, you were?" Charles asked, looking with a lifted eyebrow at Brad, who nodded.

"Yes, we were training our condition with play flag tag," Brad explained, seeing understanding appear on Charles face.

"Aah, and you were winning, right Max?" Charles asked, smiling at the little who was nodding.

"Yes. I caught to flag once and Brad zero times," Max explained, forgetting his tears, "I ran like this and I ducked away,"

Charles nodded at Max's animated explanation, the little gesturing wildly with his hands to make sure the meaning of his words was clear to Charles who was playing the perfect audience. It was clear that the pain of his crash was forgotten and relieved, Brad got on his feet.