Chapter 66

Lando was big when he woke up, blinking a little and frowning when he seemed to be alone in the crib. Patting his hand near him, he didn't feel anyone else, just blankets and pillows.

Not as panicked as he was in his headspace, but still a little afraid, he opened his eyes and sat upright, and he was immediately relieved when he saw Max, snuggled up between the two caregivers.

It did look rather cozy, the three of them tangled in each other. Lando had to hide a snigger. Charles would be more than embarrassed if he knew that he had his leg slung not only over Max's legs, but also part of Brad's.

Lowering the side of the crib, Lando got out, Lando grimaced a bit when he noticed that the pull-up was wet and resolved to quickly shower and get dressed without informing anyone about that fact. He was big now, so he would be more than capable to handle it on his own.

Charles snuggled a little more against the pillows, his arm grasping something, and it took him a moment before he realised that that something was Max, tightly curled up against Brad.

"Why are you on top of the sheets?" Charles said out loud when he noticed the little just dressed in his sleeper and not snuggled underneath the blankets. The weather wasn't cold, but even so, he'd rather have Max nice and tucked in.

Shifting a little, he moved away from Max, thinking about how he could get the little underneath the blankets without waking him up.

Of course, the moment that Charles had moved away from Maxie, the little made a small moaning sound immediately, trying to bury himself against Brad while he made some small whimpering sounds. The heat that had disappeared from his back was enough to disturb his sleep.

Charles immediately plastered himself back to Max's side, who calmed down again. Frowning, Charles thought further about the problem and then slowly pulled the blankets down from his side, tugging them until they got out from underneath Max.

It was difficult to do without waking the little up, but Charles was patient, and managed to get it out from under his stomach and just started on teasing the blanket out from under Max's legs.

"Wha?" Brad asked, looking confused when cold air suddenly hit him.

"Shh, you'll wake up Maxie," Charles said in a whisper, and it was only then that Brad noticed the little lying against him.

"What are you trying to do?" the man asked back in a whisper, looking confused, "and why is Maxie here?"

"I think he got out of the crib to sleep with us," Charles said, looking affectionately at Max, "but he didn't go under the blankets."

"Is he been lying here for a long time?" Brad asked, now helping Charles in his quest to get the blankets over Max.

"Don't know," Charles said, finally happy when they managed to get the blanket on Max, who gave a sigh, and even uncurled a little, revealing bunny who was nestled in his arms.

Brad took one of his hands in his and frowned.

"Ice cold," the caregiver whispered with a frown, curling up as much as he could around Maxie.

"I hope he won't get a cold," Charles said, full of concern, "there's still a race before summer break."

"Let's just snuggle close to him and keep him warm, and then we'll see how he feels," Brad said, glancing at the crib, "you think we need to go search for Lando?"

"I think he's big. The side is lowered from the crib," Charles said, and Brad nodded. It was very unlikely Lando would have managed that while he was in headspace.