Chapter 24

Max tried to listen to the cop telling him about the proceedings, but it was difficult to follow the words. It seemed that for now, they would start the case file, and that Jos wouldn't be allowed near Max anymore at all.

It was almost stupid how much relief he felt by that knowledge, and he couldn't help but feel a bit son at that thought. Giving a whimper, he shrunk in himself a little, his mind suddenly going fuzzy again.

"I think that'll do for today," Christian said, "we'll await the report, and the juridic department will soon contact you,"

"Sure," the cop said, getting up, "we'll keep you informed,"

The doctor followed as well, and Christian walked them to the door, discussing a few more practical matters, but Max was relieved that the strangers were gone. It was just him, Bradley and Seb sitting the table.

"Is there something I can do? To help?" Seb asked, softly touching Max's his hand, the one not holding bunny's ear.

Max looked at Seb, fighting the fuzzy feeling that was threaten to overwhelm him, almost like a wave pulling him under until he drowned.

"Perhaps you can help with checking out Max's stuff," Bradley said, seeing that Max was just starting at Sebastian, "if it's not too much to ask of course. We can probably get some people of Red bull to check it out,"

"No, it's fine. I can do that," Seb said, feeling relieved that there was something he could do. To be honest, being a caregiver meant that he sometimes had to deal with these instincts that told him to take control and make sure that everyone around him was feeling fine. Seeing that Max clearly wasn't fine, was sending those instincts in overdrive, and clearing out his stuff would help him manage those.

"That's great," Bradley said, relieved that he wouldn't need to take Max up in that ravaged room, scared of what other things that Jos would have left to traumatise Max even further.

"And is there anything you want right now," Seb asked, looking at Maxie, who stared at him open mouthed, before he found his tongue again.

"Bunny," Max said, looking down at the ear, "want bunny,"

Seb's smile wavered at the words, and he glanced at Bradley who was gazing sadly at Max. The little let out sniff, and wiped his nose with the back of his hand, before falling silent again.

"Sorry, am being stupid," Maxie said, knowing that his request was unreasonable, even though he wanted his bunny. His complete bunny. Swallowing back tears, he tried to not focus on what happened to his stuffy, not wanting to think in how many pieces he must be.

"Here, why don't you come here," Bradley said, wrapping his arms around Maxie's waist and pulling the little on his lap. Max gave a small sound of surprise, but the caregiver was already tucking him against his chest, so that he wasn't putting too much weight on his behind, still feeling the dull pain even with the cream.

"Seb is going to see what he can salvage from your stuff," Bradley said softly, stroking Max's his back and glad when he felt the little lean into him a bit more, looking up with big eyes, "and perhaps we can bother him for our dinner as well?"

"I can do that," Seb asked, and Bradley was glad that he had made the other caregiver at least look a little more at ease. He knew that it was difficult for littles to be completely comfortable when they noticed the caregivers around them were anxious, and even though he wasn't sure that Max was noticing a lot of things right now, he still felt like controlling all the factors in the room to give Max the biggest change of feeling comfortable.

"That's good. Are you hungry Max?" Bradley asked, hoping to make the little interact. Max stared at him.

"Uhm, perhaps a little?" Maxie more asked then said, unsure of what Bradley wanted him to answer. Somehow, he didn't want to disappoint the caregiver with his stupidity, like he always was like to do when his dad was near, but Bradley in a caregiver role was still unfamiliar to him, and he was unsure what exactly the man wanted from him.