Chapter 56

Brad wanted to ease Maxie on the changing pad, but the little had made a scared noise, and just clung on tighter to Brad.

"Braddy, no," Maxie shouted when Brad tried for a second time, his legs clenching tightly around Brad's waist.

"You need to have a clean diaper," Brad said, standing up again, and looking a little bit put-out with the fact that Max wasn't cooperating.

"Braddy stay," Maxie said, his voice upset.

"I'll stay, but you need a clean diaper," Brad said again, and tried to put Maxie down again, making the little give a panicked shout and cling as tight as he could.

"Braddy no," Maxie shouted again, "Maxie good,"

"Yeah, I know," Brad said, frowning at the little who say the look aimed at him and sniffled, tears starting to appear in his eyes.

"So, what do we do now?" Charles asked, seeing the situation slightly escalate.

"I'm not sure," Brad said, starting to bounce Maxie a little, hoping that the movement would calm Maxie down again, "he needs a clean diaper though, otherwise he'll get a rash, and he hates the salve,"

"Can I try to help?" Charles asked.

"Be my guest," Brad answered, glad to see the tears already disappearing from Maxie's eyes once the little understood he wasn't going to be put down

"Hey Maxie," Charles said, approaching the little, and smiling at him. Maxie looked at Charles, but pulled close to Brad.

"Charlie," Maxie said.

"Yeah, that's me," Charles said with a smile, before patting Brad's arm, "and this is Brad,"

"Braddy," Maxie agreed, "like Braddy,"

"Brad is nice, yes," Charles said, "Are you scared that Brad will go?"

"Braddy stay," Maxie answered, "Maxie be good,"

"Ah, that's good," Charles said with a grin, "can Braddy put you down? He'll keep on holding your hand,"

"Down?" Maxie asked, his face frowning hard.

"Yes. Maxie down, but hold hands," Charles said, simplifying his words, "see, Braddy will keep holding your hand,"

"Braddy, stay?" Maxie asked.

"Yes, I will," Brad answered, and after a few moments, Maxie nodded. Brad carefully and slowly put him down on the table, the mess in the diaper squishing a little. By now, it was starting to show at the edges.

Before Brad let go of Maxie completely, he took one hand in his and stood to the side, smiling down at Maxie.

"Good boy, that was very brave," Brad said, and Maxie flushed in happiness at the tone, and shyly looked at the floor, "can you lay down now? Charles, can you help with the diaper. I don't think Max will let go,"

Maxie had moved to a lying down position, and Charles could see the way he was squeezing the caregivers hand very hard, but Brad wasn't complaining. It was clear that the little needed the reassurance.

"Sure, tell me what I need to do," Charles said. Surprisingly, he didn't feel apprehensive about this part at all. One would think that changing a poopy diaper would leave him disgusted, but it didn't make him feel like that. Instead, it felt nice that Max could rely on him to help him with this, nice that Brad trusted him to do this.

"First, take out the wipes and put a clean diaper ready," Brad started to explain, and Charles took the bag and zipped it open.

"Bunny!" Maxie said, sitting back up and with one hand making grabbing motions towards the bag. Charles took out the stuffy, and handed it to Maxie, who held it close with one arm, still not letting go of Brad.