Chapter 23

Max tried to not notice the group too much when he followed Christian through the corridor of the hotel. Going down a floor, the silence in the elevator was stifling, and he couldn't help but let out a whimper, nervously chewing on the tip of bunny's ear.

Bradley took his free hand in his and squeezed in comfort, and Maxie looked at him wide-eyed, fighting the urge to press himself against the taller man, in the end managing to pull himself in his big headspace enough to resist the feeling.

They managed to make it to Bradley's room quick enough, the man letting go of Max's hand to open the door and the little tried not to grab towards it, knowing that such behaviour would probably not be tolerated.

"So, I suggest that we start with what exactly happened," Christian said, once they were all seated at the table, "the police officer will need the details for his report. And when we know what happened, I think it's best that the doctor looks Max over,"

Max looked wide-eyed at the doctor, and shifted a bit in the chair. His behind was still hot and painful, and the fabric of his shorts and the hard chair weren't helping. He wasn't used to be sitting without a diaper when he wasn't racing. Of course, he had wetted not that long ago, so he guessed it would be safe, but it still hurt a little, even though the pain had gone to a steady duller feeling right now.

"Max?" Christian asked, and Max looked at him wide-eyed, suddenly realising that they wanted him to talk. Opening his mouth in panic, he gasped, his mind suddenly grew fuzzy, and he was unable to resist burying his face into Bradley's shoulder, his breath hitching while he fought against tears.

"Perhaps I should start," Sebastian said, pulling the attention away from Max. Christian stared a moment longer at his driver, before looking at Seb.

"I think that might be a good idea," he said.

Seb looked at the people around the table, and started to talk about what he had heard and had seen, telling about the scared little and the terrifying man above him, about the ravage they had found in the bedroom.

Max managed to unbury himself from Bradley, and looked at Sebastian, his eyes wide and swallowing nervously. He glanced at the caregiver next to him, whose eyes were fixated on Seb, his jaw clenched and a muscle trembling in anger. It scared him a little.

"Do you have anything to add?" the police officer asked, and Max turned his attention to the man in uniform, once again fighting against a headspace that was pressing down.

"I..." Max said, swallowing once again, and starting to tell his version, starting from the phone call he had received from his dad, and trying not to wince when he saw the anger in Bradley change to something else. Max quickly glanced away, knowing that it was probably disappointed, and he knew he deserved it.

They had told him not to go to his dad on his own, and Max knew he had done wrong, and he knew that there would be consequences later, once they were on their own but still he was unable to lie about it.

His breath hitched when he started to talk about the wooden spoon, but he just tried to empty his mind and talk about it all as dryly as he could, knowing that Seb had already seen enough to contradict him otherwise. If he was caught in a lie, that would make it even worse.

"Did he use that spoon very often?" the cop asked, keeping his voice soft and kind, clearly a caregiver as well. Max felt his face flush when the attention was pulled on that part.

"I guess," Max said unsure, "I guess at least once a month or something, sometimes less, sometimes more depending if I was being very stupid that month,"

"So, he used it fairly often," the officer said in disapproval, noting it down.

"He always made sure not to use it if I raced within the next three or four days," Max said, still feeling a little smidgen of wanting to protect his dad, trying to defend the actions. The police officer paused in his writing for a second, and Max could feel Bradley put a hand on his shoulder while Seb looked at him in pity, the tears glistening in his eyes.