Chapter 30

Brad glanced at Max while he was driving, before concentrating back to the road, and listening a bit more to the little talking. It was a good thing that they'd run into Fernando, because a few questions later, and Max was babbling all about Fernando's career and about which races Max had seen life when he had been little.

The sentences were a bit disjointed, and the vocabulary limited, but he was getting his point across, all the time the fingers kept on fiddling with the small bag around his waist, almost a nervous habit.

Parking the car at the airport, he checked it out and returned the keys and then he held Max's his hand tightly in his.

"Stay close, okay?" Bradley said to Max, who nodded, and huddled close to him falling silent now that they were surrounded by more people. Luckily, they had the private jet ready for them, and Bradley expertly guided them through the throng of people until they reached the correct exit.

Their luggage was safely handled and put in the hold before they entered the plane, and Bradley was glad to see Christian in there as well, the team leader having decided to take the plane with them seeing the circumstances.

The man looked up when they entered and smiled.

"You got here safely?" Christian asked, getting up and going to them. Max let out a startled sound when he heard the man, and quickly went to hide behind Brad. It was clear that he hadn't expected anyone to be in there.

"Yeah, we did," Brad said, feeling the little's hands holding his shirt in tight fists.

"And where is Maxie now?" Christian asked with a smile and the humor clear in his voice. Max made another small sound, and dug his face in between Brad's shoulder blades, "we can't leave without him,"

"You're absolutely right. Now, where did I put him?" Bradley asked, mock serious, tapping his chin with his finger. Another small noise came from Maxie, and a small tug was felt on his shirt, the little pulling back a little so he was visible, a small flush on his cheeks.

"Oh, there is Max," Christian said with a smile, and Max looked at the ground, biting his lips nervously.

"Sorry," the little said, trying to make himself seem smaller than he was, a look of guilt and anxiety on his face.

"Sorry? What for?" Brad asked surprised, not having expected an apology.

"Hiding," Maxie said, nervously looking up at Brad as if he expected to be in trouble, "late?"

"Oh, no, we are still on time, don't worry," Brad said.

"Maxie, you're not late at all," Christian said, smiling at the little, "we're going to leave in ten minutes or something, so you still had time to spare,"

"Oh, that's good then," Maxie said, feeling a little relieved. Christian smiled again, and went to his seat, buckling in. Brad took it as a signal and guided Max to a seat as well, not feeling happy that their playing made Maxie feel the need to apologize.

"Here, let's get us all buckled in safely for the trip," Brad said, trying to not put any attention to it. He pulled the belt over Max, and made sure it was locked tightly. The little sat still enough until the airplane started to go up.

Maxie kept wiggling in his seat suddenly, whining softly and pressing the neck of his shirt in his mouth at the unpleasant sensation of the airplane taking to air, his ears popping slightly, and his stomach feeling woozy.

"Shh, it's almost over," Bradley said, patting Max's hand and holding it until the unpleasantness was over. Once they were up in the air, and they could unbuckle, the little had calmed down enough, and just sat in his seat, looking out of the window with disinterest.