Chapter 4

August

I exhaled the smoke from my nose, laying back on the couch. It was four o'clock in the mornin' and I couldn't sleep.

Everything goin' on wit' Leah and the kids was weighing on my mind heavy. We'd still be together if I ain't fuck up. This is all my fault.

"August why do I smell loud in my house!?" My mama yelled.

"My bad. I'll open a window up mama, go on back ta' bed." I said lowly.

"Put that out while I'm talkin' to ya. What's going on? You've been in my house all night long and haven't said one word to me." She frowned.

"I'm fine mama aight? Ion't want ta' talk about it." I sighed.

"You don't have a damn choice August. I know when my baby boy is upset, so what's going on with you and A'leah?" She asked.

I crushed the blunt inna ashtray and opened a window up, lettin' some air into the room.

"Leah and I'a jus' having some issues."

"Tell me what's going on."

"She ain't fuckin' wit' me no mo'."

"Well who's fault is that?"

"I'm tired of hearin' that shit." I chuckled.

It felt like everybody was bashing me. Nobody, not even social media knew what the fuck was goin' on behind closed doors.

I got three kids ta' raise na', a tour coming up and now Leah too. It's hard tryna balance it all, and being stressed out.

"All I can say is that you need to be a man and own up to your mistakes and learn from them. You stuck your penis in another woman and now you must deal with the consequences of that. I'm not gonna sit here and baby you when you've done wrong. I done spoiled ya ass too much."

"I am a man."

"Real men don't cheat on a woman who's given up everything to be with your triflin' tail. Let me take myself to sleep. I need my beauty sleep." She chuckled.

"Aight, g'night mama." I kissed her cheek.

"G'night baybeh."

I lit another blunt and dialed Leah's number. It went straight ta' voicemail. I called her again, and kept smokin'. This loud was really that work.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Leah, it's daddy don't hang up." I begged.

"August do you have any idea as to what time it is? I don't have time for your shenanigans alright? I'm watching over our son while your ass is God knows where." She snapped.

"Aight, I'a deserve that." I shrugged.

"Your high aren't you?" She asked, yawning loudly.

"Mhm, sumn like that."

"Mommy." Aiden whined.

"Was' wrong wit' him?"

"See what you did? I gotta go August thanks for waking your son up."

I heard the dial tone echo loudly in my ear. It's all good, she finna run back ta' me real soon. Leah won't find nobody better than me.

I'll be damned if I let my brotha' or any nigga take what's mines. Those four years we spent togetha' ain't going down the drain.

My phone started ta' vibrate on the bed. I fanned the smoke away from my face ta' see that it was an unknown number. It looked like Jamal's number.