Chapter 26

August

"Mama calm down, what happened?" I asked.

"T-T-There's a..a d-dead b-bbody on in t-t-the k-kitchen!" She cried hysterically.

"Stay on the phone wit' me. I'm at ya house now. Anybody witchu'?"

"T-The g-girls and t-the d-dog."

I swerved into my mama's driveway and hopped out my Range, joggin' ta' her front door. I ran inside ta' see Orlando's dead body hung in the kitchen.

"August thank God you here!" She cried.

"Uncle Aug I'm scared." Chay mumbled.

"Listen ta' me. I'a need yall ta' be strong aight? Take my maw maw ta' my car and call ya mama. Tell her ta' meet us at my crib." I instructed.

"Maw-Maw, calm down." Mya cooed.

"August I-I called the p-ppolice." She stammered.

"Aight. We gone straighten this out mana. Calm down. The girls finna take you ta' my car. I'll wait fa' the cops."

She nodded and walked outside ta' my car wit' the girls. Who would do some fucked up shit like this?

Whenever somebody sends a dead body ta' a loved ones home, it usually means somebody is afta' them.

"Arf! Arf!" Blue barked.

"Aye, go outside b." I ordered.

He whimpered and ran outside. I walked outside the house ta' see three cop cars and an ambulance parked in the driveway.

"Mr. Alsina, can you tell us what happened?" One of them asked.

"I was on my way over hea' ta' see my mama. She called me up cryin', sayin' there was a dead body in the house. I jus' got hea' not too long ago." I explained.

The paramedics brought Orlando's body out on a stretcher. I rubbed my hands over my face and sighed.

"We need to question your mother too. I understand that she's very hysterical, but her cooperation is very important."

"I'll drop her at the station in a half hour. I need ta' make sho' my family is safe."

"One of our fellow officers will follow you to wherever your going and then escort you both to the police station."

I wasn't tryna argue wit' no cop and get locked up so I jus' got in my car. I started it, made an illegal U-turn and sped off down the highway wit' a cop followin' me.

"Kay-Kay, call ya auntie fa' me. Chay did you call up ya mama?" I asked.

"Yes. She's leaving work now with Mr. Demetrius."

"Mya, you alright?"

"No..I'm scared." She mumbled.

"Uncle Aug ain't lettin' none happen ta' yall okay? We gone get ta' the bottom of this." I assured.

"Your on speaker auntie!" Kay announced.

"August what's going on? I'm at the mall with the kids."

"Orlando's body was hung in my mama's kitchen. Ion't kno' how it got thea' but I kno' that whoever did it, is afta' my family. Ion't think it's safe ta' go back ta' yo crib eitha'."

"August what the fuck is going on!? Is Mama Sheila hurt? Are the g-"

"Everybody is fine. I'a got them wit' me. Jus' calm down. Buy everyone dinner and meet me at my place." I demanded.