Chapter 6

August

"So wassup G?" I asked.

"I miss my son August. I'm only here to better myself as an individual and mom." She said.

I was at Columbus Rehabilitation Center visiting Giselle. She lost her privileges ta' use a phone which is why she hadn't called in months.

Of course she wasn't in no condition ta' see Mason jus' yet. At least she was trying.

"So whatchu do ta' lose ya phone privileges?"

"I got into a fight with an old roommate. Now I just stay in a room by myself."

"You done anything else?" She shook her head no.

"I've been good. I'll be out of here in six more months instead of year if I keep up with the good behavior. If my doctor doesn't think I'm ready to come home I'll be in here for a year." She sighed.

"I got faith in you. I put money on ya account so you'ca take a decent shower and write letters."

"Thanks. So how are you and A'leah?" She asked while putting her hair up.

"We straight and that's all you need ta' kno'. Not tryna be rude but I ain't come hea' ta' be discussin' us." I said nicely.

"Sorry for asking. Do you have pictures of Mason?" I nodded.

I opened up my wallet and handed her a few wallet sized images of Mason. She smiled at them.

"Look I gotta go, but when you get outta hea' I'll see you in court fa' full custody of my son."

I got up and walked out of the visiting room, heading ta' my car. I don't even kno' why I came down hea'.

Ion't see why muhfuckas continuin' ta' ask about me and Leah. I'm tired of being asked that question. It's getting annoying as fuck.

I got in my car and sped down the interstate, seeing Leah's picture pop up. I hit answa' on the steerin' wheel and kept driving.

"What?" I answered.

"Check your attitude August. The kids are with Cha while I'm taking care of business." She said.

"Mhm." I mumbled.

"How did it go?" She asked.

"It was aight, ain't much ta' tell." I shrugged.

"Since you have an attitude talk to me when I get home." She smartly replied.

"Whateva'." I hung up and sighed.

I swea' I need a fuckin' vacation or sumn. On God every little thing pisses me off. I can't stand ta' be around anybody fa' so long.

I stopped at a red light and called Leah back.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Sorry fa' snappin' on you like that. I'm meeting wit' Dr.Williams tomorrow. If we want this co-parentin' thing ta' work out I say we both go ta' put the past behind us.

I'm under alot of stress right na'. I'm jus' tired Leah. I can't force you ta' go but I'm going befo' I wind up in the damn hospital." I explained.

"I'll go. I want us to have a fresh start too." She agreed.

There was an awkward silence fa' a minute befo' I spoke up again.

"I love you." I mumbled.

"Love you too."

I drove off as the light changed and turned the radio on. Sometimes I wondered what would Mel do if he was hea' wit' me.

It was times like this whea' I needed him but sadly he wasn't hea'. I swerved the car in park and got out, walkin' inside.