Chapter 42

A'leah

I sat in the waiting room, hysterical and covered in August's blood. I was too choked up to call anybody, so Officer Vercetti did it for me.

It all just happened so fast. We were talking about getting married, going on vacation and now he's in the hospital fighting for his life. No one will tell me who shot August and it was pissing me off.

"Babygirl, what happened?" My father asked as he rushed over to my side.

My mother was hot on his tail, dropping her purse and hugging me tightly. I couldn't even wrap my arms around her I felt so numb.

"Naomi let her go." My father said sternly.

"Sorry baby. Are you hurt? Did somebody hurt you?" She questioned, observing my body.

"N-No..A-August was..h-hhe w-wwas shot." I managed to choke out.

"That's all we need to know. Does Sheila or anybody else know?"

I just nodded and wiped my eyes, not caring about the blood on my hands. I had been here for three hours and still didn't here anything from the doctor.

My parents sat on both sides of me. My mom took my hand in hers, gently rubbing it. I rested my head on my dad's shoulder and continued to cry.

"Where is she? Oh my god A'leah, boo what happened!?" Gio cooed.

"August had been shot Giovanni. We don't know anything else yet. A'leah hasn't told us anything." My dad replied.

"Let me get some tissues. I'll be right back." He said, running off towards the restrooms.

I wiped my face with my elbows and turned around, seeing Mama Sheila, Netia, Travis, Muk and Maw-Maw rushing over to us.

"A'leah w-wwhat h-hhappenned to my baby?" Mama Sheila cried.

"Honey are you alright?" Maw-Maw asked in a whisper.

I slowly sat up and shook my head no. I felt sick to my stomach. The dried up blood on my clothes was nauseating. I ran past everybody and threw up in a trash can.

Gio rushed over to me and held my hair up. I continued to puke in a trash can and held my stomach, throwing up some more.

"I know your pregnant, I won't say anything to anybody." Gio whispered in my ear as he gently rubbed my back.

"I-I need to p-ppull myself together. I-I can't lose my babies Gio." I sniffed.

"I know boo, just come sit down and tell us what happened. I got you a bottle of water from the vending machine and a warm wash cloth." Gio cooed.

I slowly sat up straight and let him walk me back to my seat. Maw-Maw took the cloth from Gio and gently dabbed my forehead. My mom opened my water, put a straw in it and I took a few sips.

"Please tell us what happened A'leah." Netia sighed.

"A'laysia came to our new house, telling me that Jamal had raped her and she was pregnant with his child. She told me that he was coming after me and August. So, August came home, I told him the story and we all went to the police station. A'laysia told her story and Jamal has had a warrant out for his arrest for months now. He's been on the run and A'laysia isn't his only victim. After we spoke to the detective, A'laysia's water broke so she told me to call her brother Quamir. August and I walked out of the police station where he was shot." I explained, trying not to cry again.

Mama Sheila fainted on Travis. Netia was in full blown tears, so was Muk and my mom. Maw-Maw just shook her head and kissed my cheek.

Gio fanned himself, trying not to cry but I can see his eyes watering. I rested my hand on my stomach, taking a few sips of water.

"I don't mean to interrupt you all at this time but I'm officer Vercetti. I'd like to speak to the parent or legal guardian of Jamal LaBranch." He said.

"My daughta ain't in no condition ta' be talkin' right now. I will on her behalf, he's my grandson." Maw-Maw sighed.

"Officer Vercetti wait! Isn't A'laysia in this hospital?" I asked.

"Yes, she's in the maternity ward. Floor three, room 228."

"I'll be back everyone. If your here something about August, please call my cell." I pleaded.

"I gotchu sis." Travis said.

I got up and made my way to the elevator. I got on, pressed the third button for the third floor and waited. Once the doors closed, I was lifted to the third floor and got off the elevator searching for A'laysia's room.

Nobody was at the desk, so I rushed down the hall reading each room number.

"245...230...229...228." I read aloud.

I walked inside her room and leaned against the door. She was laying in the hospital bed sleeping peacefully. I guess she gave birth to her baby.

"Wake the fuck up!" I yelled.

She jumped up and held her hand over her chest. "A'leah you scared me."

"You set us up didn't you? I bet that baby isn't Jamal's is it?" I asked, walking towards her bed.

"N-No! I told you and that detective that I haven't seen Jamal. Why would I lie about rape? I'm not the hoe everybody thinks I am. And for your information, my baby may not make it. He's having trouble breathing." She mumbled.

She stared at me as she spoke. Her eyes glistened with sadness and hurt as she talked. She wasn't lying about being raped.

"I know I'm not perfect but I would never set you guys up like that I swear. I can't even show my face to Jamal's mother and family. They probably think I'm some scheming hoe who deserves what happened to me." She sniffed.

I sighed and rubbed her back gently. I didn't want to sit on her bed and leave blood on it.

"The way you carry yourself is how people will always perceive you. If you want people to respect you A'laysia you need to respect yourself first." I said.

"I know," She sighed. "Everything bad is always happening to me."

"Just keep your head up. I'll be praying for you and the baby."

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything. If I am, I'll come back." Quamir said, as he held a bouquet of roses.

"Your not, I was just leaving." I replied.

I brushed past him and left the room, heading towards the elevator. Once the door opened, I rushed out to the waiting room seeing the doctor walk over to Maw-Maw and them.

"Doctor please tell me that my fiancé is okay." I pleaded.

"Three bullets to the chest is very serious. All of the bullets just missed his vital organs. He's still in surgery and it is not going well." The doctor informed.

"I'll give blood, donate an organ anything. Just promise me that you will save him." I cried.

"If the bleeding doesn't stop, he will die. I can assure you my team is doing the best they can. I'll come back with an update."

Everyone of bombarded the doctor with questions but he just walked off, heading towards the back.

"We need to pray y'all." Maw-Maw said.

Everybody gathered around, held hands and bowed their heads.

"God there's so much going on right now and I don't think I'ca bare this pain. I ask that you watch over my youngest grandson who's fighting for his life right now. Heavenly father I ask that you bless us with your strength and power to fight through this tough situation in jesus name we pray-"

"Amen." We all concluded.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Two updates in a row? I'm definitely on a roll lol

1) Do you think A'laysia will turn herself around now that she's a mom?