Short Story #11: Houtarou Oreki

You know I'm too lazy to even tell my side of the story, so I'll keep it simple. It all started back when I was Kamiyama High School. It was another day in the Classics club. Satoshi and Chitanda were there discussing some usual things and listened as usual. It's quite boring as it always was until Chitanda told me something about the principal asking her to send me a letter. She showed the letter to me and gave it to me. I don't know if this is related to my sister abroad, but I opened it either way and read it. And to my shock it was an offer, not just any offer but an offer of transfer to a different school. The school that sent this letter was from the Tokyo Metropolitan Advanced Nurturing High School. I don't think I've ever recalled hearing about that school until Satoshi explained that he actually heard about the school and only the elites, the best and brightest minds are allowed to make it to a school like this. To be honest, this would've been a school where Chitanda would've gone to since she is an honor student after all, but this letter was unmistakably sent to me. It says that it recognized my abilities and also my academic performances. I was a bit overwhelmed at the thought of a prestigious school even managing to scout someone like me to enroll in their school. Both Satoshi and Chitanda congratulated me but at the same time they were a bit sad that I would end up leaving the school. I guess it is quite sad to leave people behind so suddenly especially with the people you are already familiar with but to my surprise I also read that the school also has a Classics Literature Club that is almost similar to this school, Is this a coincidence? 

Either way it just feels like fate has decided to give me another path, one where I would be lazy to walk but a necessary walk to find out if I'm capable of even being in a school full of elites. Both Satoshi and Chitanda were obviously sad, but they told me that they would support me regardless of when I transfer to a different school. Normally I'd be too lazy to even bother moving to another school but given that there is surprising a Classics Club as well there, I guess I have no choice. It is what sister would've wanted even if it was in a different school. 

I called the school took up their offer and the rest are pretty much history. When I made it, I went through the entrance exams, passed most of it and before you know it. I'm now a student in ANHS. I was placed in Class S, a lot of students there that I would say much smarter than me, but I did make some new friends I suppose like this guy named Shinomiya Kei who seems to always motivate me and do whatever dirty work he has. I didn't mind it that much, but I guess we kinda got closer and I don't often say this but he's one of the people I currently trust right now since he calls himself "a genius" so many times. I don't know why he keeps saying that, but it does hold some truth in it. I really just want to conserve energy at this point since being in a class filled with people with their own extraordinary skills would be too much work for me to deal with but let's see how this goes. 

Here's Oreki's perspective on how he got to ANHS. In this universe I decided to add a Classics club in ANHS so at least Oreki has something to deal with. He may not be a challenge to the likes of Sora, Ayanokouji, or Yuuichi but he's going to be a force to be reckoned with for the rest of the other classes. Also yes, I am making Kei and Oreki friends in this universe to be like this unexpected duo where the one guy does all the work while the other is smart but lazy

Have a nice day and thanks for reading :)