DT: One

Xiao Zhan's deep-rooted love for reading had its sanctuary in the grand mansion of the Xiao family, where a vast library offered an array of books ranging from educational to inspirational, novels to poems, all instrumental in shaping the mind. This library was a refuge, a haven where he could escape the relentless pressures that circled his life. Fairy tales, fated pairs, and stories of princesses and princes bound by destiny were his favored companions in this sanctuary.

Xiao Zhan, a prodigy in all his pursuits, be it academics, sports, or the arts, earned the admiration of adults and fellow students alike. They showered him with praises for his remarkable achievements. However, behind the façade of these accolades lay the demanding expectations he was raised under.

His backstory was unconventional, to say the least; Xiao Zhan was the child of a clandestine liaison. His mother had accepted an arrangement proposed by his father's family, becoming a surrogate mother to secure the family lineage. His father's wife had been unable to provide an heir, making her begrudgingly accept this unorthodox solution.

Xiao Zhan's mother bore him, only to have him immediately taken away, never to see him again. As young as the age of four, he was burdened with enormous expectations to secure the family's future. Success was the norm, while failure was an unfathomable weight to bear.

His father's wife, a strict disciplinarian, admonished him relentlessly and corrected every minor error. He received no maternal love, particularly from his father, who remained distant and aloof. Dinner time, often quiet, only served to emphasize his outsider status within the family.

Growing up, he came to understand the true nature of his family's dynamics. He recognized that his role in the household was a matter of business, not family. Despite the detachment and businesslike atmosphere, he clung to a sliver of hope that one day, they would accept him, provided he proved his worth. His dreams and desires, cultivated during childhood, were concealed in the depths of his being, buried beneath the weight of his responsibilities.

His academic journey was marked by consistent achievement, culminating in him receiving numerous awards. However, his nanny, butler, and housekeeper were his sole companions during these milestones. At each stage of his education, his family's response remained consistent: his accomplishments fell short of their expectations.

Yet, he refused to abandon hope, clinging to the belief that someday he would win their favor.

Living separately from his family in a penthouse provided by the family, Xiao Zhan focused on his studies, striving to prove his worthiness as a member of the Xiao family. His housekeeper, who visited daily to attend to his needs, was his only regular companion in this silent, empty space.

The silence was deafening, and he drowned himself in work to stay busy, maintaining the mindset that greater achievements would secure his family's acceptance.

As he left the doctor's office, Xiao Zhan's monthly check-up reminded him of his ambiguous second gender. His undetermined status since high school meant regular visits to the doctor, though he had never experienced a rut or heat.

His family, believing him to be an alpha based on his achievements, remained unaware of his efforts to keep this aspect of his identity hidden.

The Xiao family was known as an alpha-centric family, with omegas not readily welcomed into the mansion unless they held prestigious titles. Most of the household staff were betas, while some were alphas.

A familiar scent wafted through the air, a scent that stirred something deep within him. The sandalwood fragrance triggered a reaction in his gut, but he quickly dismissed the feeling. He couldn't afford to be distracted. Consulting his wristwatch to ensure he was on time for an impending meeting, he sighed with relief as he still had an hour to spare.

Perhaps he'd visit a local bookstore to pass the time, momentarily reminiscing about dreams he had yet to realize.