DT: Forty-Nine

Xiao Zhan awoke to a dimly illuminated room, the soft glow of his bedside lamp casting a somber yellow hue across the space. His body felt weighed down, his eyelids swollen and reluctant to fully open. Gazing at the expansive ceiling-to-floor windows, he found only darkness beyond. Night had fallen, and it seemed as though the sky mirrored his own sorrows, devoid of stars and with the moon obscured by thick clouds, refusing to cast its gentle light upon the night.

A heavy sigh escaped his lips, his heart burdened as he slowly slid out of bed. His gaze remained downward, fixated on the faintly lit expanse of his bedroom floor. Despite his best efforts, tears refused to come anew, his tear ducts exhausted from earlier weeping. He attempted to swallow, but his throat felt parched and scratchy, each movement a reminder of the pain within him that words couldn't express. He sighed once more, his reservoir of tears depleted, his mouth dry from suppressed sobs, and his body aching as though it had endured a relentless beating.

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on his door. He turned toward it, sighing heavily before speaking. "Come in," he said, his voice hoarse from the emotional turmoil.

The door creaked open, revealing LiYing carrying a platter of food. She offered him a flat smile as one of the servants helped her with the door. "Hey," she greeted softly, presenting the tray in her hands.

Xiao Zhan managed a fake smile, though it did little to conceal his current state. "Thanks," he murmured before sinking back onto his bed, too drained to remain standing.

"I hope you remembered I was here earlier," LiYing said, stepping closer and placing the tray on the study table.

Xiao Zhan nodded in acknowledgment. "Yeah, sorry you had to see me like this," he apologized, his gaze drifting to the balcony outside.

LiYing shrugged. "It's fine," she replied, pausing for a moment before continuing. "We talked over dinner. I couldn't bring myself to suggest canceling the wedding, I'm sorry," she added sadly.

Xiao Zhan looked at her, a bitter smile playing on his lips. "It's not your fault," he muttered, more to himself than to the alpha.

"I was too cowardly to face my problems. I thought I had enough time to fix everything, to gather the courage, and to fight for my freedom. But I was too complacent," he confessed, his voice filled with self-blame.

LiYing sighed understandingly and sat beside him, offering a comforting pat on the back. "Don't be too hard on yourself," she reassured him.

Xiao Zhan managed a small smile, knowing deep down that his failure was his own doing. "I wish I could turn back time," he whispered to himself.

"But I'll do my best to help you through this. Just trust me, okay?" LiYing promised.

Xiao Zhan nodded in defeat, realizing that all he could do now was place his trust in her, even if the odds seemed slim.

Li Ying patted Xiao Zhan once again before standing up and turning toward the tray she had brought. "Now eat. I know you haven't eaten since you came here. You need your strength until the day of the wedding, hm?" she suggested gently.

Xiao Zhan complied, picking up his utensils and beginning to eat slowly.

As he ate, Li Ying filled him in on their conversation during dinner with both their families. The wedding was set for next week, and all the arrangements had been made. His wedding dress was already taken care of and would be adjusted for her fitting, while his tuxedo was ready to be tailored to his size. The venue had also been finalized, and everything seemed to be in place as if they were determined to marry him off without delay.

It felt like they were rushing things, not willing to waste a single moment. As Xiao Zhan mechanically ate his food, his mind was elsewhere, consumed by the impending wedding that he couldn't prevent. The flavors of the dishes seemed to elude him, lost in the haze of his thoughts.