DT: Thirty-Four

Stepping inside the building feels like a challenge to Xiao Zhan. A shaky smile he greets back the concierge and office workers who greet him along his way. He rode the elevator with several workers, whilst anxiously checking his wristwatch, and when the "Ding" rang and the door of the elevator opened, his feet automatically walked out of there, freeing himself from the suffocation of the four-cornered mobile.

After a few turns, he arrived in front of his father's office. He let out a heavy sigh, tugging away the invisible crease of his suit before holding his head high and bringing out his professional stance. He cannot let his worries seep out of his facade nor let his father notice the indifference in his eyes. 

He knocks three times before letting himself in, knowing that the epitome of his problem is just at the other side of the door. 

"Good morning, son," is his father's warm greeting, pretending that they are a normal family knowing full well that his soon-to-be daughter-in-law or rather future business partner was there, sitting elegantly on her white bodycon dress, a warm smile painted on her face. 

The omega plastered a smile, almost real but rather a fake one to please his father's eyes. "Morning father," he greeted before facing the female-alpha, nodding his head to let her know that he had noticed her presence before giving her a greeting, " Good morning, Ms. Zhao--"

"Oh please, you can just call me LiYing," she cut him off while giving her warmest smile, "And also, Good morning too!" she chirped. 

"Oh, I brought breakfast. I hope it's to your liking," she chuckles, offering the platters that were decorating the coffee table. 

Now that Xiao Zhan is looking at the table, he did not notice them beforehand. He smiles, shaking his head slightly, "I'm sorry. I just had my breakfast a while ago," he apologized.

The female-alpha feels rejected, but despite that, she handled her feelings professionally, "Is that so? How about I treat you to lunch instead?" she asked.

He wanted to decline but when he caught a glimpse of his father's eyes, he knew he should not. And so he smiles the same amount as hers and nodded, "Sure. That would be my pleasure," he answered. 

"Now that we're settled, shall we talk about business?" his father interrupted, not wanting to lengthen their conversation about nonsense. 

She smiles at him, oblivious of his father's true intentions and preoccupied with the thought of treating the omega to lunch. 

.

The meeting feels like forever. Xiao Zhan can already feel his bum getting numb just by sitting for hours in front of his father's artistic way of convincing the other party to invest in the company. His head prickles from the continuous telltale of the older Xiao that he can do nothing but agree.

Sometimes, he glances at his phone that he set atop the coffee table, anxiously waiting for a reason to excuse himself. But his patience grew thin like the tic-toc of the clock on the wall every time the longest hand move a second. His fingers silently drummed at both of his sides, anxiously waiting for the time to go faster. 

As he glanced at his phone one more time, the screen lit. His hands instinctively grabbed them before clearing his throat. 

His father's and Liying's attention was caught by the sound, their eyes focusing on him in a matter of seconds. 

"Please excuse me, father, Ms- Uhm.. Liying. May I go for necessity?" he asked politely as he secretly pockets his phone. 

The female-alpha grinned wide, nodding as she giggles at the omega's adorableness. "Sure, Zhan," she agreed. 

Xiao Zhan didn't wait for his father's response as he bowed politely at the two before turning his heels away from them. He then marched his way out of the office. 

Upon closing the door, a heavy heave of relief left his lips. His hands immediately looked for his phone in his pocket. 

Then he opened the message from the two. 

Smile immediately crept onto his lips upon seeing the two alpha's faces on the screen, a picture of them in one of the twin's cars with their funny faces, probably going to school together. His uneasiness lightens at the sight of the two dorks. He cupped his mouth as he lets out a giggle. 

He sighs, at least his anxiety is a little better. He decided to go back, they would probably notice by now that he was taking too long in the comfort room, but as he was about to open the door, he bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry," the sweet voice from the person apologized. 

Xiao Zhan gave her a tight-lipped smile, "No, it was my fault." he insisted but the female-alpha doesn't buy his apology. 

She worriedly scans the omega, brows furrowed as she touched his forehead, checking for any bruise she might have caused.

Xiao Zhan felt shivers run down his spine at the alpha's touch, it was not unpleasant but it doesn't feel good either. He instinctively backs away catching her off guard. 

"Sorry!" she apologized immediately, giving the omega his space. 

Xiao Zhan realized too late that he acted that way. The door of the office is wide open, making his father see everything the moment the door opened. He can see his father's head shaking in disappointment, his eyes questioning why is he avoiding her touches when in fact he'd be marrying her off.

Horror immediately crept into him, the disappointment in his father's eyes sent dread inside of him. As if clockwork, the notion that he disappointed his father brought him distress. 'He must not. He must not disappoint his father. He should act the way they want him to.' It haunted him, voices screaming with disappointment inside his head.

"Are you okay?"

Only then he came back to his trance when the alpha spoke, worry plastered on her face, 

Xiao Zhan looks at her and gave her a thin smile, "I'm fine," he assures her, grabbing the crook of her arms as if it was normal. 

Her cheeks turned pink at the gesture and let the omega guide her all the way. 

The omega's uneasiness came back, blanketing him once again with discomfort. Despite that, he hid behind a fake facade. 

It's fine, this will finish soon anyway, he thought.

--------

A/N: After a long long long hiatus because of school works, I'm finally back from the dead. I thought when I finish my internship I'll be able to update regularly but I guess not. There's a lot of paper works to finish, as I'll be graduating. There are lots of seminars, signing of clearance and etc. to be able to graduate. So yeah, I'll try updating sometime later. Please don't get tired of waiting for me. This may not be the best update but this will serve as my gift to everyone for supporting me now that I'll be turning twenty-two the moment the clock struck at 12. Thank you so much everyone! Love lots <3