DT: Forty

When Xiao Zhan arrived at his father's office, he was greeted by the stern visages of both his father, Li Ying, and her father, who were already in the midst of a discussion when he walked in. Their eyes turned toward him as he entered, momentarily interrupting their conversation.

His father's expression didn't hide his displeasure at Xiao Zhan's tardiness. A scowl creased his face as he gestured impatiently for him to join them promptly.

Xiao Zhan nodded dutifully and made his way over to the sofa where his father was seated, directly across from Li Ying. She greeted him with a warm smile, her eyes conveying an unspoken apology for the abruptness of the meeting.

He responded with a subtle, tight-lipped smile, silently mouthing an 'it's okay' as a sign of understanding and reassurance.

"Oh, here's my future son-in-law," Li Ying's father greeted him with an expansive smile, extending his hand for a handshake.

The term "son-in-law" sent a pang through Xiao Zhan's ears, but he concealed any discomfort and accepted the handshake. "Hello, sir," he replied, his expression neutral.

"Now that we're all gathered here, let's get down to discussing the union," his father interjected abruptly, his impatience with the situation evident in his tone.

Li Ying's father's face lit up, and he straightened in his seat. "You're absolutely right! That's precisely why we're here," he concurred, ready to delve into the topic at hand.

"Yes, indeed. So, when should we schedule the wedding? Sooner rather than later, I can't wait to welcome Li Ying into our family," Xiao Zhan's father proposed with an overly eager smile, concealing his true intentions behind the union.

Li Ying's father's smile wavered for a moment as he contemplated how to bring up his daughter's request to Xiao Zhan's father.

"Oh, about that," he began.

The change in Xiao Zhan's father's demeanor didn't go unnoticed; he sensed something was amiss. However, he quickly masked his disappointment with another smile, bracing himself for what Li Ying's father might say next.

Li Ying's father remained oblivious to the shift and, with pride, rested a hand on his daughter's shoulder as he explained, "My daughter has expressed a desire to oversee our overseas company. It's the first time she's suggested it herself."

A subtle crease formed on Xiao Zhan's father's forehead, a sign of his disapproval at the announcement, but he swiftly adjusted his expression to inquire hopefully, "So, does that mean we should expedite their wedding plans?"

Li Ying's father chuckled, "No, not at all! I intend for her to get used to her new role there first. Once she's settled, we can discuss the wedding plans." He spoke with pride regarding his daughter's initiative.

Fury had quietly built up inside the elder Xiao, but he managed to maintain composure. Rejecting the proposal could jeopardize his plans to secure additional investment from the other party while having a low interest.

He forced a smile and nodded as if he understood, adding a fake chuckle, "I'm sure she's a quick learner."

Li Ying's father beamed with pride, "Absolutely! After she's adapted to her role, she'll return for the wedding. They'll make a great team, working together in our overseas branch!" He spoke joyously.

Throughout the meeting, Xiao Zhan clenched his fists, head bowed, struggling to contain his rising anger and anxiety. He dreaded his father's wrath but also resented the manipulation he was enduring.

The female alpha, keenly observant of Xiao Zhan's emotional turmoil, decided it was time to intervene. She glanced at him discreetly, checking on his state. Upon noticing the tension in his body and the clenched fists, she realized she had to get him out of the room.