Chapter 11: エクササイズ (Exercise)

No POV

It's early in the morning the moon sets and the sun returns it's finally the day to have their friendly match over who'll take the title of flagship of the Eagle Union's combined fleet, Fuyumi had decided to win and handover that title to Arizona as she'd be busy with her own things and in her heart, she doesn't want that title as she knows herself and it'd be handed to someone who's been a symbol for their navy.

For her, it was to show that she's more than capable of leading her fleet into battle in front of everyone as the majority of those on base have not witnessed her in battle and no one knows of all the upgrades or changes she's made to everyone.

For the carriers, only the Sakura carriers received reinforcement in the AA department in the form of 5''/38, 40mm Bofors, and 20mm Oerlikons as well as radars, as for the Eagle Union girls only Fuyumi changed with her turrets being swapped out for the 100mm Type 98. Their Battleships were given new VT-Fused San Shiki rounds making them deadlier against aircraft, and Yamato got her AA swapped out for the new cannons.

Their Sakura cruisers meanwhile got the same upgrades as their colleagues, as well as the Sakura destroyers, on the other hand, their Eagle Union friends got their torpedoes swapped out for the Type 93 'Long Lance'.

As morning rose a good breakfast awaited those in the Sakura-Eagle Dorm.

Fuyumi: "Morning girls."

All: "Morning."

Yorktown: "So the time has come."

Fuyumi: "Yup, let's all do our best to win and show them what we're made of."

Over the last few days since their return from camp they've been training hard with their new equipment, they left the canteen to wash the dishes before heading out to the launch room as the friendly match begins soon.

They received their scenario, which states 'Enemy fleet is currently guarding a convoy carrying 'High-Value-Target' but only one is carrying it and sinking the others merchant ships is secondary, as for the enemy escort fleet engage only if necessary.' That alone states the danger they're in.

Sea

Alaska: "Assume convoy screening formation."

The girls under Alaska got into formation in quick order with the 'transports' in the middle until the destroyers at the outermost ring, that she ordered her scouts launched and C.A.P up in the air, some time had passed, and their 'enemy' had been found she ordered all carriers to launch one massive strike which admittedly was very Russian.

As the air strike approached the target area both the audience spectating and Alaska's fleet were in for a surprise as Missouri aim's her guns up while the rest didn't act, then they saw a muzzle flash from her main guns, and seconds later a massive sheet of paint engulfs the air strike, the audience was shocked as Missouri was using San Shiki rounds which were reserved for Sakura battleships and even then, had many issues to fix. As for those under Alaska they too were shocked by this revelation, as they had 'lost' all their aircraft in one fell swoop.

Meanwhile, the Sakura-Eagles have located the 'enemy' and launched their own strike split into two waves, as the first wave approached the target the C.A.P from what's left engaged the first wave the second wave dove in from the sun, it was an anvil strike from both torpedo and dive bombers coming at the same time, and what they saw was unbelievable as Hellcats, Corsairs, Helldivers, and Avengers from the strength of six carriers tore through the air defenses like its paper.

Back at the Sakura-Eagle fleet, there were Zeros flying around but they were not the standard Zeros as they'd got their engines replaced by the R-2800-54 the same engine that powers the Hellcats, but the Zero had to be altered to fit the engine, and instead of the 7.7mm machine guns, it was swapped out with the 12.7mm. The new designation given by Yūbari is A6M9 type 0 model 22 the 22 referencing the year it was made which is 2022 though the audience doesn't know this yet, they will soon learn of it. The match was declared a victory by the attacker, and not long after everyone was heading back to base.

Base

Chiyase: "Well that ends round one, but Fuyumi what was that." She of course is talking about the new San Shiki shell.

Fuyumi: "That is the VT San Shiki, I requested Yūbari and Vestal to do it." They both smiled knowing that they were being acknowledged for their work.

Fuyumi: "Not only that but I gave them some materials to work on a new variant for the Zero."

She pulls one from her hangar, it looked quite like one, just only that the airframe was slightly larger so that it could house the new engine but at the same time kept the agility that the previous iterations had been known for.

Hours later

It's already night and the launch room is being used again this time it's round two, this time their objective was to retreat through a strait that bears resemblance to the one at Surigao Strait. As they took their positions Fuyumi is aware of the effects it has on Shigure who had memories of that fateful night.

Fuyumi: "If you're not comfortable with this scenario I can put you in the rear with us." She shook her head and said in a confident voice.

Shigure: "I'll have to face my fear because I want to be able to help you."

Fuyumi: "Alright but don't do anything reckless." She nods and heads to join the main force. (Radio) "Girls you remember the plan we discussed this afternoon."

All: "Yes."

Fuyumi: "Good, then commence battle."

The girls got into their cruising formation, Eagle Union destroyers taking lead as they were equipped with radar, as they went deeper into the 'strait' something felt off, and Missouri ordered star shells be fired and soon enough 'enemy' has been spotted but something was wrong they took damage as their clothes were torn up. Alaska reported that the abyssals snuck up on them and Fuyumi told her to get her fleet back to base while they handle this.

Upon hearing what had transpired she orders all hands to switch rounds, so instead of paint which they'd been using since the start of the day were now being exchanged for live rounds. With the paint being discharged out from the barrels, now they're taking combat formation, not long after the switch the fight commenced as the two sides traded blow for blow.

For them it was an easy fight even if it was at night because they'd perfected the art of night combat as a full fleet that includes aircraft carriers, as the fight ended, they sailed for home while tending to the wounded best they could. On the way back they linked up with those that were deployed from the base, turns out Alaska's fleet was unable to communicate due to their electronics being shot out.

When they returned the girls that took a beating were sent to the docks starting from the ones who had it the worst, Alaska said she willingly admitted defeat Fuyumi of course couldn't accept an easy win just like that to which Alaska replied that she commanded her fleet masterfully even with this turn of events so it's enough a reason for her.

After receiving that piece of news, she handed her title to Arizona as planned and after that, the girls tucked in for the night.