Chapter 2

Frisk opened his eyes drowsily and looked around. He was being held by Papyrus again in his bathtub of lukewarm water this time.

"Look who's awake," Sans said rubbing his wet hair. "We're glad you pulled through, Frisk. Go back to sleep. You have nothing to worry about now."

He shut his eyes again as he listened to the voices of Sans and Papyrus.

"Sans, why can't I just heal him?" asked Papyrus loudly.

"I told you, bro," Sans said quietly so that Frisk couldn't hear. "If he heals too quickly, he might run away again. Frisk needs to heal the old-fashioned way. Hopefully, this way his mind will heal along with his body."

"Is that why he's in lukewarm water?"

"No, he's in lukewarm water because hot water will put him in shock."

"It didn't before."

"That's because you healed him."

"Why can't I just do that again?"

Sans sighed and said quietly, "We've been over this. If Frisk is going to get better, we need to do things this way. Minds don't heal like bodies do. You know that."

Papyrus looked at him knowingly and asked, "How long will we keep him here?"

"As long as it takes. You still up to watching him tonight?"

"Yes."

"You're sure you can handle this, Papyrus? You will have to watch him and make sure he doesn't try to end his life again."

"You worry too much, Sans. I, the Great Papyrus, will protect the suicidal human and cheer him up! It will be a piece of cake. Nyeh heh heh! I will be the number one babysitter!"

"Alright then, I'm heading out. Don't let him out of your sight."

"Got it! Sheesh!"

Sans shortcut out leaving Papyrus alone with the human. Frisk opened his eyes and wearily looked back at Papyrus.

"Alright, human!" Papyrus said draining the tub, picking Frisk up, wrapping him in several towels and carrying him to his bed. "You're all clean, and now, it's time to sleep. I hope you like my bed. It's a race car! I like to dream I'm driving a car along the highways on the surface since I can't do it in real life. I hope you dream of something good that makes you happy, too. Then maybe, you will stop wanting to die. Oh, I almost forgot."

Papyrus lowered Frisk onto the bed and pulled the covers over his body before running to Sans' room and coming back with a t-shirt, underwear, and a pair of shorts.

"Put these on," Papyrus said handing the clothes to him. "You're kinda naked right now."

Frisk pulled the covers over himself more completely in embarrassment.

"Oh, no," Papyrus said. "Don't worry. We're all guys here. I don't mind, but Sans says other creatures get embarrassed so…"

Frisk snatched the clothes and quickly put them on under the covers. The clothes were loose but comfortable.

Papyrus then sat Frisk up, lifted his shirt, wrapped a heating pad around his torso, and turned it on. Frisk immediately felt a warm sensation around his skin.

"There, you go, human," Papyrus said while tucking Frisk back in again. "Sans said this heating pad will help raise your internal body temperature and make you feel all nice and cozy."

Papyrus turned off the lights and said. "Alrighty, human! Excuse me. Alrighty, Frisk! Now, we go to sleep! Since you're in my bed, I shall sleep on the floor."

Papyrus instantly dropped on his back on the floor next to the bed. Frisk sat up and looked over at him from the bed.

"Goodnight, Frisk!" Papyrus said. "Tomorrow, we get to work restoring your will to live! Don't worry! By the time I'm done, you will love life more than anyone else in the underground! Nyeh heh heh! Goodnight, human!"

Frisk laid back in the bed and stared at the ceiling. Things had not gone the way he expected. He did not expect these two to want to save him so badly. It honestly didn't make sense.

Their king Asgore supposedly killed humans. Frisk had never gone far enough to see him. He had always reset the timeline whenever he killed someone before he could get that far, but he knew he killed humans. Frisk figured that because of that they wouldn't care about losing a human, even if they were friendly. Another human was another problem and the other monsters of the Underground surely wouldn't care if another one disappeared.

But these brothers, they were doing so much for him. Frisk couldn't understand it. He was a danger to everyone. Why were they being so kind to someone who didn't deserve it? They stopped his soul from being taken by Flowey, but he still had nothing to look forward to. Frisk still didn't see any other solution for himself but to get out of their lives permanently.

Frisk felt the warmth of his body heat from the blankets and his heating pad. It warmed him up and relaxed him. He was too weak and tired from the cold to move or act. All he could do was fall asleep, so he shut his eyes and fell asleep.

Meanwhile, Sans stood in the forest outside the door that led to the ruins. The door opened and a figure in a purple cloak emerged.

"Hello, Toriel," Sans said with a smile.

"Hello, my friend," Toriel said. "I wish we were meeting under better circumstances."

"Me, too."

"Is he safe?"

"Yes, he's resting now. Papyrus is looking after him."

"Poor child. He is so lost."

"I want to help him. Tell me everything that happened when he was with you."

"Let's go inside."

Toriel entered the ruins with Sans following behind her.