Chapter 18

Frisk enjoyed riding on Papyrus' back much more now that he was dressed for the cold. As Papyrus kept sprinting through Snowdin on their way to Waterfall, Frisk finally felt comfortable enough to look around. The snow-covered houses and Snowdin citizens all whisked by as if he were looking at them from a bus. It made him smile.

"Frisk, do you see Undyne anywhere?" Papyrus asked.

"No," Frisk replied honestly.

"Well, keep looking. We have to help her. She's not very happy right now."

Frisk's demeanor fell. The revelations hit Undyne harder than they had Sans or Papyrus. They were the reasons she was unhappy, and Frisk didn't know how he was going to make it better.

"I hope you have ideas up there," Frisk whispered to Him. "We could really use them."

The constant rocking motion of Papyrus' back as he ran was relaxing. Frisk's eyes slid shut and he dozed off for the few minutes it took to reach Waterfall.

Papyrus entered Waterfall and stopped sprinting to look around unaware that his passenger had fallen asleep. He looked around among the grass and the flowers but saw no sign of Undyne anywhere.

Papyrus only paused when he was at the waterfall where Frisk had found the tutu in the other timelines. He had passed this spot many times before, but knowing what he knew now, he felt disturbed.

Papyrus stepped into the water and paused at the spot in front of where the cavern behind the waterfall was, the spot where a human had died, possibly at Undyne's hands or at the hands of another royal guard.

Papyrus felt guilty. He had never considered what that human must have felt when they were caught and killed or how Frisk felt whenever he encountered an enemy.

"Frisk..." Papyrus whispered. "I'm so sorry. Every single time, you must have been so scared…just like they were. Frisk?"

"He's asleep, bro," Sans said from the shore on his right. "He can't hear you. I guess Undyne's pill hasn't completely left his system yet."

Papyrus turned his head and saw Sans standing in front of him on the path before him with his hands in his pockets.

Papyrus looked back at the sleeping child on his back for a moment and said, "Why did they kill that girl, Sans? Why did the Royal Guard kill humans who were as young and helpless as him? How could they?"

Sans sighed knowing why his brother was saying this.

"People are willing to do bad things when they're desperate, Papyrus," Sans replied. "Human souls are powerful. King Asgore wants to use them to break down the barrier…"

"I won't be like them, Sans," Papyrus said resolutely. "I won't let King Asgore hurt him. I would rather stay down here forever. I will be a good royal guard. I won't let anyone else hurt Frisk like they hurt those other kids either."

Sans didn't respond. There was no sound for a minute except the sound of the rushing water.

"We should find your boss," Sans finally said.

"You're right," Papyrus said snapping back into action. "I almost forgot! We have to find Undyne! I should wake Frisk up."

"Not here…" Sans said.

"Why not? Here's as good a place as any. Besides, he can get some water if you know what I mean…" Papyrus said while he lifted Frisk over his shoulders and prepared to drop him in the water.

But suddenly, Sans picked Frisk up telekinetically and pulled him away from his brother.

"This place holds bad memories for him, Pap!" Sans said in a more serious, authoritative tone that Papyrus was not used to hearing. "Frisk doesn't need to relive them!"

Sans started walking away with Frisk while Papyrus stood in the water in confusion.

"Sans?" Papyrus asked in confusion. "What's…?"

"Expert tip since you're new at this," Sans said pausing in place and turning around to look back at Papyrus. "When you become a big brother, you also become his shield. You have to stand between him and anything that might hurt him. You bear that pain on yourself, so he doesn't have to feel it. Frisk hasn't had that kind of protection in a long time. If we want to be his big brothers, we have to do that for him now. Understood?"

"Why are you guys fighting?" Frisk said barely opening his eyes.

"We're not fighting, kiddo," Sans said quickly changing his demeanor and walking up the path away from the waterfall. "We just had a minor disagreement. That's all. You fell asleep on the way here, and Papyrus wanted to dunk you in water to wake you up. I wouldn't let him."

"Thanks," Frisk said with a yawn. "I don't know why I fell asleep. I guess Papyrus' back was too comfortable."

"You still have Undyne's drugs from yesterday in your system making you tired. I can take you home if ya want."

"Nah, I wanna help find Undyne. I'm awake now. I'll be fine. Just put me down."

"Whatever."

Frisk groggily took of Sans' coat, handed it back to him and said, "I'm done wearing it, thanks."

"Don't mention it, kiddo."

As Frisk walked ahead, Papyrus stared at Sans like he was a whole other person.

"Pap, are you coming?" Sans asked breaking Papyrus' train of thought.

"Yes! Of course! Nyeh heh heh!" Papyrus yelled enthusiastically sprinting to catch up with them as quickly as he could.