Chapter 42

Frisk was in the bathroom upstairs brushing his teeth.

He had gone up there to use the bathroom after he, Sans, and Papyrus had come home. But Sans told him to brush his teeth while he was in there in preparation for the last dare.

Frisk spat into the sink and rinsed his toothbrush off with determination. If Sans wanted Frisk to brush his teeth, this dare probably involved kissing or something gross like that, but Frisk could handle it. He put his toothbrush back in the cup on the edge of the sink and took a deep breath in preparation.

"Alright, you're ready," Frisk said quietly to himself.

"Are you sure about this?" the One from above said.

"Totally."

Frisk turned away, walked confidently to the door, and twisted the handle. But oddly enough, Sans and Papyrus were already standing there with mischievous looks on their faces that Frisk had every right to consider highly suspicious.

After exchanging confused glances for a second, Frisk finally said, "Sans, I'm ready for the dare. What is it?"

"Are you sure you're ready for this, Frisk?" Sans asked while Papyrus snickered with anticipation. "It's a doozy."

"Yeah," Frisk said confidently. "I can handle whatever dare you throw at me. Bring it on!"

"Okay," Sans said as he and Papyrus picked Frisk up on either side by his arm pits so that he was suspended in the air. "You asked for it."

"What are you doing?" Frisk asked. "Where are we going?"

"You'll see, squirt," Sans said.

"You sure will," Papyrus said in between snickers of excitement.

The brothers walked towards the stairs until they reached Papyrus' room. At which point, Papyrus opened his door with his free hand and turned on the lights to his room.

"Bedtime!" Sans and Papyrus said at the same time as they both carried Frisk into the room.

"What?" Frisk asked incredulously. "What about the dare?"

"This is the dare, kid," Sans replied as they both walked in and put Frisk down on the bed. "I dare ya to go to sleep. It's been a long day, and you need rest."

"Come on," Frisk whined crossing his arms in annoyance. "It's not even 10 o'clock yet. No one goes to bed this early except babies."

"You're a baby human," Papyrus said rubbing Frisk's hair. "Aren't ya?"

"No, I'm a kid," Frisk said. "There's a big difference."

"You still need to sleep, squirt," Sans said.

"But I'm too old to go to bed this early…" Frisk whined.

"When do you normally go to bed, Frisk?" Papyrus asked.

"Uh, it changes," Frisk said focusing his mind to remember the last time he went to sleep on the surface. "On the surface, it was whenever I got tired of reading, so around 2 at the latest…"

"In other words, you haven't had a consistent bedtime since your parents passed on?" Sans asked while pulling Papyrus' rolling chair over to the bed for him to sit on.

"I guess not," Frisk admitted.

"I knew it. Well, you're going to start going to bed more consistently from now on. You need to. You do eventually have to go back to school…"

"What? But I'm so behind. Why can't I just stay out of school, read books, and get a general education diploma when I turn 17?"

"Because you're 10, not 17?"