Chapter 85

Edit: I've decided not to let my family control my emotions anymore. I can't trust them and that's fine, but I have a God who understands and friends, too. I can live with being the black sheep. My New Year's Resolution is to get a great job and move out.

A microphone rose up on a platform from out of nowhere as Frisk began singing the first lyrics.

"I'm not like them," Frisk sang as he plucked his mother's arrangement of the guitar melody on the violin with his fingers. "But I can pretend. The sun is gone, but I have a light. The day is done, but I'm having fun. I think I'm dumb, or maybe just happy…"

Frisk stopped plucking and played the violin melody as he began to sing the chorus.

"I think I'm just happy," Frisk sang in between the melodies. "I think I'm just happy. I think I'm just happy…"

Frisk glanced over at Mettaton who was still lying dramatically against the stairs. He had a satisfied smile that was about to disappear.

Frisk went back to plucking the violin and sang, "My heart is broke, but I have some glue. Help me inhale and mend it with you. We'll float around and hang out on clouds. Then we'll come down and have a hangover…"

Frisk returned to playing his melody as he heard Undyne snickering in the background. Everyone else was dead silent.

Frisk's memory returned to his mother.

He smiled as he remembered how much she loved this song and how passionate she was when she sang it. He smiled as he remembered how especially passionate she would sing when she had a bottle in her hand…

Then Frisk's smile faded away. Papyrus noticed the change and nudged Undyne. Unbeknownst to them, Mettaton noticed the change, too.

"Have a hangover," Frisk sang again in between the melodies. "Have a hangover. Have a hangover."

Then, tears began forming.

"Frisk, are you okay?" Papyrus whispered loudly enough for Frisk to hear.

Frisk ignored him and started playing another harmony for the next part of the song. To his surprise, he still wasn't interrupted.

"Skin the sun," he sang shutting his eyes against the tears. "Fall asleep. Wish away. The soul is cheap. Lesson learned. Wish me luck. Soothe the burn. Wake me up."

As he began playing the final part of the song, Frisk felt Papyrus' hands tighten their grip on his shoulder. That's when he realized Mettaton was walking towards him and snapped back into focus.

"I'm not like them, but I can pretend," he sang louder than before. "The sun is gone, but I have a light. The day is done, but I'm having fun. I think I'm dumb. I think I'm dumb. I think I'm dumb…"

Mettaton then snatched the microphone away from Frisk as Papyrus picked Frisk up and held him defensively again. Frisk looked at Mettaton and smiled while wiping away the tears from his eyes. He looked flustered.

"What was that for?!" Frisk protested.

"Darling," Mettaton said into the microphone sounding mildly annoyed. "I thought I told you that this was a family-friendly program. That song you just sang was completely inappropriate. It knocked our ratings down by 100 points!"

"What do you mean?" Frisk asked innocently as Undyne snickered under her breath. "My mother taught me this song. It was her favorite. She said it reflected her soul."

"Your mother said a song about doing drugs represented her soul?" Mettaton asked suspiciously.

"This song isn't about doing drugs," Frisk replied in half-truth. "It's about being happy when you feel like an outcast. You just can't see the symbolism."

"Obviously not," Mettaton said as his expression grew more serious. "Darling, why don't you play some non-lyrical violin pieces for a while? I'll get you a chair…"

"Oh, that won't be necessary," Papyrus said holding Frisk over a thick bone he made rise out of the ground and letting him go so that it could rise with him on it. "He can use this chair."

Frisk smiled, sat up straight, and started playing "La Danse Macabre" again.

Much to his surprise, he heard a piano accompanying him before he even finished the first measure. He looked around the set and saw Calibri playing a piano that he didn't noticed before. He looked at Calibri curiously who only looked back at him with a wink as they continued playing.