Chapter 61

Frisk got out of sight easily.

The only obstacle he faced once off-stage was the fire man stage manager who asked him where he was going. Once Frisk told his lie, he let him go and warned him about getting his mic wet in the bathroom.

After that, Frisk ran straight for the backstairs still carrying the water bottle in one hand and removing his mic with the other. Just as he reached the stairs, he threw the lavalier mic on the floor and bolted through the door as fast as his little legs would carry him.

Frisk felt his frightened tears running down his face and blinding his vision, but he didn't dare stop lest Mettaton seize the opportunity to drag him back. He wished his determination was healed so that he could make himself run faster. He wished he had known better than to agree to any of this. More than anything else, he wished his new family was right there to encourage him.

As if an answer to prayer, Frisk felt his phone vibrating. He stopped to catch his breath and look at it. It was Sans.

Without hesitation, Frisk answered the phone and said, "Sans?"

"Kid, I watched the show," Sans said from the other end. "Where the hell are you right now?!"

"I'm going down the backstairs," Frisk said between breaths. "Mettaton doesn't know I'm gone yet. I'm meeting Papyrus and Undyne outside by a boat."

"Then, why are you still in there? Move your ass now!" Sans yelled.

"Okay," Frisk said nervously resuming his quick pace down the stairs.

"Frisk, what were you thinking?! For God's sake, you remember what has happened every single time you have faced that freak! What possessed you to go along with his crap this time?!"

"I'm sorry! He said he would give me money!"

"You did all this just to have some extra spending money?"

"It wasn't for me! It was for you and Papyrus!"

Sans went silent on the other end for a moment before he responded in a gentler tone, "What? Why were you trying to get us money?"

"I wanted to help you guys out," Frisk responded sadly slowing down just as he was getting close to the back exit. "Mettaton said that you guys needed money to take care of me and that I'd be able to make it easier on you, so I thought that if I did what he said and got us money then I could help you out and not be so useless. I mean you guys have done so much for me, and there's nothing I can do to pay you back. I can't break the barrier or set you free, so I thought the least I could do was make you richer so that you could be happy down here."

On Sans' end, the phone was on speaker so Toriel could hear. She looked up from her paperwork to see a terrible sight. Both Sans' eyes were glowing bright blue and his free hand was rolled up in a fist. He was furious.

"Sans?" Frisk asked nervously as he cautiously walked through the back door.

"Frisk, you didn't have to do that for us," Sans replied in an astonishingly calm tone. "We're family. We'd never ask you to sell yourself out for us. We're the legal guardians and big brothers. We're the ones who're supposed to figure out money, not you. Understood, kiddo?"

"Yes, I'm sorry," Frisk said quietly while powerwalking to the boathouse.

"Another thing, you ain't useless," Sans said. "Stop saying you are. Are you on the boat yet?"

"Yeah," Frisk said stepping into the boathouse and immediately being scooped up by Papyrus.

"Oh, Frisk! Thank God!" Papyrus said holding him tightly against his armor. "I thought we lost you. Who are you talking to?"