Chapter 28

Meanwhile, deep underground in the True Lab, Flowey curled up in a flower pot with medicated soil. This flower pot was guarded by a glass dome which was further guarded by a glass wall in a bare room surrounded by lasers and video cameras.

Outside this prison cell, Sans was breaking some revelations to Alphys that he had figured out after being allowed to explore the lab freely and watch certain videotapes.

"There's no way," Alphys said. "Sans, are you 100% sure about this?"

"I'm hardly ever wrong when it comes to things like this," Sans said leaning back against the glass wall with his arms crossed. "You know that, Alphys. Besides, why else would the weed be calling the kid Chara? Who else would be waiting for her?"

"But he is nothing like Asriel," Alphys said. "That thing couldn't be him. I thought his soul crossed over…"

"It did. His soul isn't here anymore, but some other parts of him are and they've developed a nasty side," Sans said looking over his shoulder at the unconscious flower.

"Oh, my God. If I had known what he had done, I would have made more efforts to find him instead of wasting my time ruining the lives of other fallen monsters. Everything I've done as amounted to failure, Sans. I'll never be as successful as Gaster…"

"Thank God. You're a much better person that he was."

Alphys looked at Sans with a sad smile. Sans smiled at Alphys and then walked away from the wall.

"I'd better get back," Sans said. "Frisk needs me right now. Papyrus is probably starting to feel neglected, too. Besides, I'm hungry, I need to buy medicine, and I'm missing therapy…"

"Sans?" Alphys interrupted hesitatingly. "Should we tell the queen?"

Sans looked at her and said, "I don't know yet. On the one hand, we need all the help we can to keep the little bastard out of trouble. On the other hand, I don't know if I can break her heart with all she has been through."

"But you're her friend," Alphys said. "You have to tell her the truth. Don't you?"

Sans sighed deeply and said, "Someone's been watching anime."

Alphys blushed and said, "Oh, uh, I didn't mean…"

"I'm kidding, Alphys," Sans replied. "You're right. I'll tell her once I gather up the nerve. In the meantime, you watch the weed from a distance and keep him under lock and key. I gotta go home to tend to my brothers. Frisk will be getting hungry again eventually, and Papyrus might be inspired to cook for him. Undyne's over, too, if you're interested…"

Alphys blushed even more deeply than before, looked away, and said in a fluster, "Oh, I, uh, I can't. I'm so busy right now..."

"Okay," Sans said walking away.

"Wait, Sans, before you go, I wanted to give you something," Alphys said digging into her pockets as Sans turned back around.

Alphys handed him two small bottles. Sans looked them over. One was labeled "iron tablets." The other was labeled "in case he can't sleep."

"I didn't know you were also an apothecary," Sans said.

"I make medicine for the amalgams all the time to help them bear with it all," Alphys said. "I was thinking about taking these by your home to help with Frisk. I figured he would be having trouble sleeping because of his PTSD symptoms and I figured out he needed more iron when I saw the fresh markings on his arms."

"Thanks, Alphys," Sans said stuffing both bottles in his pockets. "I'll be sure he gets them. Let me know if the weed wakes up. I'll talk to you later."

With that, Sans shortcut to Grillby's.