Chapter 47

After breakfast, Frisk changed back into his normal clothes, and he and Papyrus went riding with the ferryman on the river to Undyne's house.

"I can't believe Sans actually liked the mega-muffin," Frisk said.

"Oh, yeah," Papyrus said clutching his basket. "That mega-muffin was sweet and unexpectedly tangy. I can't wait to give a piece to Undyne."

"Beware of the man who speaks in hands," the ferryman said.

"What does that mean?" Frisk allowed himself to finally ask out loud.

"Oh, he always says things like that," Papyrus replied. "I don't worry about it too much."

Frisk looked at the mysterious, hooded figure trying to get a glimpse of his face. Something about his voice wasn't right and he wanted to get a closer look, but before he could get a good look, they arrived at their destination in Waterfall.

Papyrus stepped off the boat and onto the shore, but Frisk lingered and kept staring at the ferryman until he felt Papyrus' gloved hand grab his wrist.

"Come on, Frisk," Papyrus said. "It's rude to stare. Sorry, Mr. Ferryman. My little brother was a homeless orphan for three years, so he's kind of socially awkward."

Papyrus pulled Frisk away as he turned his head back and tried to catch a glimpse of the ferryman before he was out of sight.

"Stop staring, Frisk," Papyrus said. "God, you're so rude."

"Papyrus, have you ever seen the ferryman's face?" Frisk said looking forward at him.

"No, he generally doesn't like to show his face."

"Something was off about him, but I can't explain what it is. His voice was somehow different."

"Now that you mention it, his voice did sound a bit strange. Maybe he's got a cold. Oh well, it doesn't matter. I hope you're ready to work out, Frisk, because this will get intense!"

Unbeknownst to either of them, the Ferryman lingered on the shore and watched them until they were out of sight.

Once they were gone, the Ferryman gave out an excited laugh and said, "So, my theory about you was right. You were a homeless orphan. Oh, my poor little darling boy, don't worry. Very soon, I'll make it all better…"