Chapter 46

Papyrus came out of his room feeling refreshed and ready for action, but a bit concerned since he did not know where his little brother went. But the first smell that came through his nose hole and the sound of a spatula scraping against a frying pan gave him a good clue.

"Frisk?" Papyrus asked himself suspiciously as he walked down the stairs. "Frisk, what are you doing?"

Papyrus walked into the kitchen to see Frisk sitting in a chair surrounded by dirty bowls using a spatula to get his fried eggs off the pan they were stuck on. Something was in the oven…something that smelled interesting…

Frisk's eyes met Papyrus' eye sockets and he said, "Good morning, Papyrus! I'm making breakfast, but I've had trouble getting these eggs out of the pan. Could you help me out?"

"No problem, Frisk," Papyrus said picking up the pan and using the spatula to chisel the eggs to freedom. "I, the Great Papyrus, can help you with any of your cooking. By the way, what's that cooking in the oven?"

"Oh," Frisk said grabbing oven-mitts off the counter beside the stove and pulling them on before he opened the over door. "I almost forgot. I thought eggs wouldn't be enough, so I decided to make muffins…Uh, Papyrus, I think they turned out wrong…"

"What do you mean?" Papyrus said walking over and crouching down to look at the muffins. "I'm sure you did just…WOAH!"

The muffins did not look like muffins. The dough had risen together to form a giant orange-brown and blue-spotted mega-muffin being supported by the little muffins in the muffin tray. Papyrus was crying tears of joy.

"Oh, my God," Papyrus said happily tossing aside the eggs. "This is beautiful. I can't believe how much I've inspired you."

"You like it?" Frisk asked in surprise as Papyrus turned off the oven and carried Frisk's creation out.

"Yes, you've picked up on my cooking skills and I couldn't be any prouder," Papyrus said putting the mega-muffin on the kitchen table and proudly taking pictures with his phone. "You make your big brother so happy."

"But it looks so weird…" Frisk said.

"No, it looks completely original. Tell me. What ingredients did you add to make it look this way?"

"Well, it was originally a recipe I found on the Undernet, but there weren't enough ingredients, so I had to improvise…"

"What did you do?"

"Well, I added orange juice and lots of yeast to spread the recipe out more, so that there would be enough food for everybody…"

"Brilliant! I need to remember that for the future, but why is it blue?"

"Oh, I put blueberries in them. They were supposed to be blueberry muffins."

"This mega-muffin is so much cooler! I should let you cook more often."

"Thanks. I like that name."

"Me, too."

"Hey, guys!" Sans said shortcutting into the den and walking into the kitchen. "How's it go-…?"

Sans saw the mega-muffin and immediately lost his train of thought.

"What is that?" Sans asked with a very confused expression on his face.

"It's a blueberry mega-muffin," Papyrus said proudly. "Frisk made it for breakfast. Isn't it amazing?"

"I tried to make it look like the recipe on the Undernet, but it didn't exactly work out," Frisk said.

"Don't say that, Frisk," Papyrus said rubbing Frisk's head in support. "It turned out even better. It looks great! You should help me cook from now on. What do you think, Sans?"

Frisk smiled at Papyrus while Sans looked at the monstrous pastry in concern. If Frisk cooked anything like Papyrus, this pastry would be more than a little hard to swallow.

Picking up on his concerned facial expression, Frisk asked, "Sans, are you okay? You don't have to eat this if you don't want to…"

"Oh, he's just too happy to speak," Papyrus said. "He gets like this when I cook sometimes. He is happy to eat your food…"

"Are you sure about that?" Frisk asked.

"Sure am, kid," Sans lied nervously.

"Whatever you say," Frisk replied.

"Nyeh heh heh," Papyrus said going back to the cupboards to get glasses ad plates. "I'll go set the table. You two can sit down."

"Thanks for the phone," Frisk said taking his seat.

"No problem, kiddo," Sans said taking his seat.

"What did Toriel say?"

"She said she'd get the papers together, and Pap and I could sign them by the end of the day. She's alright with you living with us, but she had a few conditions…"

Frisk's heart fluttered nervously.

"What kind of conditions?" Frisk asked fearfully.

"She wants the right to check on you whenever she wants as a co-guardian, and she wants to be your tutor to catch you up with school," Sans replied.

"Oh," Frisk said in relief. "That's fine."

"I have a condition, too," Sans said. "You have to apologize to her. I know you weren't in the best psychological state when you wrote that suicide note, but you still scared her and left her with more questions than answers. You need to talk to her and make things right. Okay?"

Frisk started scratching the bandages on his arms and looked down fearfully.

"Hey," Sans said gently while Papyrus set the plates and glasses down and filled the latter with orange juice. "She ain't mad at ya, kid. She's just worried. I keep telling her you're alright, but I don't think she will believe that completely until she sees you herself. You just need to let her know you're going to be alright. You won't be by yourself either. We'll be there, too. Okay?"

Frisk stopped scratching his bandages, looked up confidently, and said, "Okay, I can do that."

Papyrus slid into his chair and said, "Let's dig in! We don't want to keep Undyne waiting. We have a lot of training to do, and I'm so excited!"

"Got it," Frisk said grabbing a piece of his mega-muffin. "I also made eggs. I don't know where Papyrus threw them, but you can have them if you can get them off the pan."

"Great," Sans said with as much enthusiasm as he could muster.

"Come on, Sans," Papyrus said grabbing a piece of the mega-muffin for himself. "You grab a piece, too. We're gonna need help to finish this."

"Alright, bro," Sans said reluctantly grabbing a piece while praying that Frisk was a better cook than his brother.