Chapter 23

"So let me get this straight," Papyrus said as the group continued walking ahead with Sans walking next to him and Undyne and Frisk walking behind. "Grounding him doesn't mean that he has to sleep outside on the ground?"

"No, Pap," Sans said. "Frisk is not sleeping outside. We've had to thaw him out twice already."

"Then what does 'grounded' mean?"

"It means he isn't allowed to leave the house for a while."

"For how long?"

"I don't know. Maybe a week."

"Oh, goodie! That means we can have lots of therapy together."

"Yep."

"But time with me isn't really a punishment. We should make Frisk do something else."

"What did you have in mind?"

"How about we make him hang out with everyone in town wherever he likes and not let him come home until he has to go to sleep? That way, he'll miss out on time with us completely!"

"Papyrus, that completely defeats the purpose of grounding."

"So, grounding means he does have to sleep outside."

Sans sighed and facepalmed before he tried to explain it to him again.

Meanwhile, Undyne and Frisk were spending some time together.

"So, you were a military brat too, huh?" Undyne asked.

"Yeah, that's what the kids at school would call me," Frisk replied.

"Wow, dude. Where did you live? Where was the base?"

"It was in Ebott City, so that's where I lived my whole life before I ran away. It's the city right outside the mountain on the surface. I only came back last summer. They were part of the Special Forces tasked with fighting, uh, evil monsters who escaped. They started after they got married when they were 18. My Mom said it was highly restrictive. Only specific types of magic users are let in, but they got in because of their determination and trained to become the most awesome warriors ever."

"Man, they sound like some cool people. Did they ever teach you anything? Like how to fight?"

"Oh, yeah. Everything I know about using determination magic comes from them. They taught me what they learned from their families. My Mom showed me how to use it to make my attacks stronger and dodge more quickly and things like that. She was a lot like you but nicer and gentler. My Dad showed me how to heal myself with it and create save files and that kind of thing. I wasn't an expert at any of it by the time they died. I mostly practiced it all on my own when I was living on the streets. You have no idea how useful save files are when you don't want the authorities to find you."

"That's so cool, Frisk! You'll have to show me more moves sometime, which reminds me…Was it your parents who taught you how to reset?"

Frisk froze in place for a second allowing Sans and Papyrus to gain a little distance before he responded. Undyne noticed and stopped with him. He then pulled out the piece of paper Napstablook gave him and used it to cut the top of his left hand before placing it back in his pocket.

Frisk moved his right hand upwards and telekinetically moved some blood out of his hand and moved his hand in a wave motion to move it around. The blood started glowing as Undyne watched on.

"My parents told me that determination lives in our blood, sweat, and tears…" Frisk began.

"I know," Undyne interrupted. "The flower told us. He also said that using blood magic too frequently would kill you. Are you sure you should be doing this?"