Chapter 62

Meanwhile Frisk and Papyrus were sitting on the boat while Undyne was directing the boat. They were just passing by the city.

"I can't believe that asshole," Undyne said as Frisk ruffled his hair to mess it up. "Where the hell does he get off trying to steal you like that?"
"Yeah," Papyrus said. "I don't understand why Mettaton's being so mean. He's usually so nice on his shows."

"He was just pretending to be nice until he got what he wanted, Papyrus," Frisk said sadly looking up at him.

"I've seen lots of people like that on that surface.

My parents warned me about them. I'm glad they did.

It taught me how to avoid them in school and on the streets."

Papyrus looked at him curiously and asked, "Are lots of people like that?"
"Well, like I said before, most people are just apathetic, but there are people who are willing to hurt anyone just to get something they want," Frisk replied honestly.

"Sometimes, the ancient scriptures say, they even delight in being bad. It makes some people happy…"
"Like Flowey?" Papyrus asked sadly.
"Yeah," Frisk replied looking away at him and up at the buildings they were riding past in the river.

For a moment, Frisk was silent as he simply gazed at the city.

He had never noticed how large it was.

He had never noticed how bright and beautiful it was in its own way either.

Frisk smiled as he took out his phone and started taking pictures of the passing buildings.

"What are you doing, Frisk?" Papyrus asked.

"If we have to hide in the Ruins for a while, then I won't get to see the city again for a while," Frisk said without looking at him.

"I'm taking pictures, so I can look at them while we're hiding. I want to come back here."

Papyrus smiled as he stood up, picked up Frisk, grabbed his phone from him, and adjusted the photo settings to take a selfie.

"Papyrus, what are you doing?" Frisk asked.

"We're taking a selfie," Papyrus said happily.

"I, the Great Papyrus, have been your big brother for two days, but we don't have a single photo with us together. That will not do at all! So, smile!"
Frisk smiled as Papyrus snapped several photos of the two of them together.

"Hey, Undyne!" Frisk said.

"You should come in. You're my big sister, right?"
"Frisk, I can't," Undyne said anxiously. "I'm steering the boat here."

"Come now, Undyne," Papyrus said persuasively. "Surely, you can do two things at once. You are capable enough to do that."

"Well, you are right," Undyne said proudly. "Okay, come over here. Let's have a family photo."

"Yay!" Papyrus said as he handed off Frisk to Undyne and wrapped his arm around them both before taking a few more selfies.

Suddenly, their boat lowered into the water causing them all to fall off-balance on top of each other on its floor.

"Frisk? Undyne?" Papyrus asked scrambling off his friends as quickly as he could.

"I'm fine," Frisk said as Undyne crawled off him allowing him to stand up and take his phone back from Papyrus.

"What was that?"
"Over there," Undyne said gesturing directly ahead of them to the shore where the two figures were walking towards them.

Frisk did a double take. He recognized the hooded owner of the ferry with the magic glowing from his skeletal hand and the disgruntled employee walking next to him, even though the latter was wearing jeans and a hoodie instead of his regular uniform.