Chapter 84

Unfortunately, the applause didn't end when Papyrus and Undyne stopped clapping. Not too far away, they could hear the sound of a third person clapping and walking towards them, in high heels.

No one said anything out of fear.

Papyrus handed Frisk his violin case and surrounded their group with his bones while Undyne pulled out her spear in anticipation. Once Frisk had packed his violin and his bow away and was holding his violin case against his chest, Papyrus picked Frisk up in his arms.

Undyne quickly turned off her flashlight and Papyrus quickly did the same.

As the footsteps grew closer, they all held their breaths.

Thinking quickly, Undyne dissolved her spear, grabbed Papyrus' hand, and whispered, "Put down your bones and follow me."

"What are you -?" Papyrus started to ask as quietly as he could.

"Trust me," Undyne replied. "If I recall Frisk's memories correctly, I can get us around whoever that is."

"My lovely contestants, are you alright?" the familiar, obnoxiously flamboyant voice rang out confirming their worst fears. "We have had a few minor technical difficulties and I just wanted to make sure you hadn't fallen over the edge into the abyss. Where did you go?"

Mettaton couldn't have been any more than 100 feet away.

Papyrus quickly dissolved his bones and whispered, "Alright, Undyne, you lead the way. Don't worry, Frisk. We'll be out of here in no time."

Frisk replied with an "okay" and started silently praying.

Undyne and Papyrus walked backwards until they had almost reached the edge. For fear of falling, she stopped there and they just listened.

"When he passes by, you two run like hell," Undyne whispered. "You understand me? I'll take care of the pretty boy."

"No, Undyne," Frisk whispered pleadingly. "Don't hurt him. I don't want him to die."

"Why not?" Undyne quietly protested.

"I don't want any more sad endings for anyone," Frisk replied. "Please, Undyne…"

"Besides," Papyrus chimed in. "This isn't a fair fight for either of you. Neither of you can really see where you're going."

"Fair point," Undyne reluctantly agreed. "Alright, I won't fight him. At least, not now…"

"Frisk, dear, are you down here?!" Mettaton yelled much loudly from about 8 feet in front of them. "I know you are. I could hear you playing the violin. You sounded wonderful. Are you with my lovely contestants? I know you're around here somewhere, even though you somehow managed to get your bracelet off. You don't need to be afraid, dear! I'm not going to hurt you. Come out. Come out. Wherever you are."

They did not realize that Mettaton had gained so much ground so quickly. Everyone went silent and hardly breathed while Mettaton stood there and looked around listening for a sound. Evidently, he couldn't see in the dark either.

"Hmmm," Mettaton said before he continued walking past them.

Undyne then pulled Papyrus behind her as quickly and quietly as possible with Frisk still in his arms. They were so quiet that they practically stopped breathing.

Unfortunately, when they had run about 400 feet away, Undyne tripped and Papyrus fell on top of her with an "oompf." It wasn't that loud, but it was just loud enough.

"Oh, there, you are!" Mettaton happily called out from a distance causing them all to freeze in their tracks.

"Oh, shit," Frisk muttered fearfully. "Please, God, no."