Chapter 88

Burgerpants grabbed Frisk's arm and teleported away with him as soon as Mettaton turned his back. They reappeared on the roof on the studio a few miles away as Frisk continued to thrash angrily.

Burgerpants let Frisk land on the ground and asked, "Alright, kid, you're safe now. You can let it all out. God knows you need to…"

"WHY DIDN'T YOU LET ME FIGHT HIM?!" Frisk snapped angrily. "I WAS SO CLOSE! YOU RUINED EVERYTHING!"

"What good would it have done, kid?" Burgerpants said pulling out a beaten-up garbage can with Mettaton's face on it along with a baseball bat from behind one of the air vent ducts. "He would have dropped you into a padded cell after just one blow. Then, your family would have no chance of getting you back. Is that what you want?!"

"IT WOULD HAVE BEEN WORTH IT IF I COULD HAVE HURT HIM!" Frisk screamed back.

"You don't mean that!"

"Yes, I do!"

"Take this," Burgerpants said calmly handing Frisk the bat and sitting up the garbage can. "If you need to hurt something, hurt something without a soul."

"Mettaton doesn't have a soul!" Frisk yelled back with a few tears falling from his eyes. "Why can't I hurt him?! He's such an asshole! All he does is ruin everything! Today was going to be amazing. I was going to be adopted by my new family. We were going to celebrate. We were all going to be happy. But then that douche came along and tricked me!"

Frisk slammed his bat into the garbage can knocking over a few yards.

"Why did I have to listen to him? Why was I so stupid? Why did I expect him to keep his word? I should have known better! It's my fault! Now, my family's in danger all because of me! Why can't I do anything right?!"

Slam!

"Then every time I think we even have a prayer of escaping, that goddamn robot piece of trash has to get in the way and twist everything I do for his stupid show! He's always one step ahead with his stupid plans and his stupid trapdoors!"

Slam!

"My God, I hate that robot! I hate him so much! No matter what I try to do, Mettaton has to ruin it all! And the better the person I try to be, the worse he is! He wants me! AND THERE'S NOT A DAMN THING I CAN DO TO STOP IT!"

Slam! Slam! Slam! Slam! Slam! Crack!

The garbage can finally broke in half from the sheer force of Frisk's blows. Burgerpants stood there in stunned silence listening as Frisk dropped the baseball bat on the ground, breathed hard, and continued to shed his tears.

"You know what?" Frisk said in between sobs. "Sans is right. This isn't my fault. It's Mettaton's. He would have taken me even if I said no, but that doesn't help. It just means I'm helpless. Nothing I do works. How do I stop him, Burgerpants?"

Burgerpants didn't know what to say, but he wrapped his arms around Frisk and held him in a gentle hug while the boy held onto his shirt and kept sobbing.