Chapter 50

Papyrus eventually figured out where Snowdin was. The river opened from its narrow passageways in Waterfall to into a wider river in the valley surrounded by the snow-covered mountains, forests, and little towns that made up Snowdin on either side of the river.

Frisk's hands and feet were freezing in the cold weather, but he didn't care. His eyes were too large with wonder, and his heart was too warmed by the beauty he finally let them see.

"Are you enjoying yourself?!" Undyne asked.

"Yeah!" Frisk yelled excitedly. "I've never seen all of Snowdin before! It's gorgeous!"

"Why didn't you walk through it on your other runs?!" Undyne asked curiously.

Frisk pondered for a moment and said, "I…I didn't think about it the first time. The other times…I don't know. I guess maybe I didn't think I deserved it."

Undyne paused.

"I'm not sure exactly what that means," Frisk said sadly. "But it's the first thing that popped into my brain. It kinda makes sense…to me anyway."

Undyne reflected thoughtfully for another moment and said, "Enjoy the view, punk! You deserve to now!"

Frisk felt his HP go up as he smiled in response.

"NYEH HEH HEH!" Papyrus yelled. "Our therapy is working!"

"Yeah," Frisk said. "But can we go back to Waterfall now?! I'm losing all the feeling in my hands and feet!"

"WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT DEALING WITH YOUR WEAKNESSES, PUNK?!" Undyne yelled.

"NO, UNDYNE!" Papyrus yelled. "Humans die if they get too cold! Sans told me so last night!"

Undyne said, "WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO EARLIER?! GET US BACK TO WATERFALL, PAPYRUS!"

"Wait," Frisk said. "How does Sans know that?!"

"I'm not sure!" Papyrus replied. "He hasn't told me! He knows a lot about science and he used to work in a lab with our Dad, so maybe he learned about humans there! We'll have to ask him later!"

"Okay," Frisk said his curiosity satisfied for the moment.

After several rough turns, Papyrus turned the boat around and drove back towards Waterfall.

About 30 minutes later, Sans was taking a coffee break and walking by the river while he was on the phone with Toriel.

"Thanks again for getting all these papers together, Toriel," Sans said. "Are you sure you're still okay with this? Especially knowing all you do now…?"

"Sans," Toriel said. "Knowing all I do now, I think living with you is the best thing for Frisk. He needs strong men in his life. Besides, he looks up to you more than he does me or anyone else. You're the one he loves and needs the most…"

"That's what scares me. He idolizes me, but I am going to fail him one day."

"Come on, Sans. You're not getting cold feet. Are you?"

Sans smiled at the pun and said, "That was great."

"You've raised one little brother, Sans," Toriel said. "I know you'll be able to take care of Frisk and keep him loved and out of danger, too."

"Thanks, Toriel," Sans said. "Your encouragement means a lot to…"

"HEY, SANS!" Sans heard Papyrus yell at the top of his lungs.

Sans turned around to see Undyne riding water skis backwards with Frisk on her shoulders and Papyrus driving the boat and about to pass him.

"HEY, SANS!" Frisk yelled. "I'M IN SO MUCH DANGER RIGHT NOW! THIS FEELS AMAZING! I ALSO CAN'T FEEL MY TOES!"

"CHECK IT OUT, SANS!" Papyrus yelled proudly. "I'M DRIVING WITH MY FEET!"

"BEST THERAPY EVER!" Undyne screamed excitedly.

"YEAH!" Frisk and Undyne yelled together as the boat finally passed by.

Sans stood there dumbfounded for a moment and squeezed the coffee in his hand while he listened to Toriel say, "Sans? Sans? Are you still there? Was that Frisk? What was he doing?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna need to call you back," Sans said breaking his shocked silence.

"Wh-?" Toriel asked before Sans ended the call and started sprinting after the boat.

"Papyrus!" Sans yelled in a panic when he was finally close enough for them to hear. "Get your hands on the steering wheel right now before I give you the boot!"

"WHAT'S THAT, SANS?!" Papyrus yelled. "I CAN'T HEAR YOU! CHECK IT OUT! NOW, I'M DRIVING WITH MY BUTT! I'M THE BEST DRIVER EVER!"

"WOOOOOO!" Frisk yelled.

Sans short cut onto the boat, moved Papyrus over by his soul, and slowed the boat down until it stopped.

"Hey!" Undyne yelled as she and Frisk slowed down and fell into the water.

Sans quickly pulled Frisk out by his soul while Undyne swam over and climbed up on the boat.

"What the hell, Sans?" Undyne asked in annoyance.

"Yeah, what gives?" Papyrus asked.

After lowering Frisk onto the boat and putting his coat on him, Sans collapsed on him in relief, in turn, causing Frisk to lose his balance and fall on the floor with him on top of him.

"Sans!" Frisk said in annoyance. "What's up with you? Get off me!"