Part 94

Happy reading

Karan's house
Teju's Pov
I woke up with excitement. I looked over but then the smile on my face died. I didn't find Karan there but saw a note written on my bed-side table. I picked it up and it read:
Had an important meeting this morning so I had to leave. I didn't wake you up as you looked to peaceful in your sleep. I'll be back by the evening. - Your Karan

She groaned and put the note back down. She had thought Karan would've made today special but he didn't even wish her. Today was her birthday! She had never celebrated her birthday with him before and she thought since this is her first birthday with him he will make it special. The rest probably didn't even ever remember her birthday. But she thought her sunny would've remembered it. But he left early in the morning and didn't wish her.
To her surprise, there were no notifications on her phone when she picked it up to see whether she had received any texts or calls. She assumed someone would remember the date, but none did. not even Pra No one remembers, how is that possible? Maybe celebrating my birthday with everyone isn't in the cards for me today, she thought as she let out a huge breath.

Evening Karan's house
Teju's Pov
When I angryly opened the penthouse door, the entire house was dark. It indicated that karan's caretaker had left and Karan still hadn't returned home. Great! I turned around and shut the door. I then turned on the lights before turning around and being startled. They all yelled, "Surprise!" My mouth hung open in astonishment as I observed everything. The entire space was adorned, and there were balloons everywhere. There was a large table with a gorgeously decorated three tier cake in the centre of it. Sam, Adi, And Harshad were gathered around the table with mumma and Papa. And I was utterly astonished to see Om and Vidhi standing there. But I couldn't find the person I was hoping to see.
As she approached them gently, Vidhi whispered..
Vidhi: At least close your mouth." She hastily close her mouth and whispered..
Teju: This is..for me?"
Vidhi: Ugh! She is so stupid. Of course it is." And that was obviously vidhi who said it she thought. She searched the area, but couldn't find Karan.
Looking back at her, they were all beaming. She spun around out of confusion and ran into a solid chest. Karan was grinning at her when she looked up, and so she did. In his raspy voice, he said
Karan: Happy birthday, angel." She was grinning stupidly at this moment. She couldn't think of anything to say. When they heard "Oh ho!" They were both looking into each other's eyes. When she saw that everyone was present, including her mother and father, she became visibly red. She hid her face in her palms and everyone laughed. Karan made her turn around towards them and they all yelled "Happy birthday Teju!"
Teju: You all remembered?" She asked. I thought you had forgotten.
Harshad: Of course we did. It's your birthday! No one can ever forget teju's birthday."Harshad said.
Teju: I really thought you all had forgotten." She muttered.
Vidhi: Never! Neither one of us wanted to die." Vidhi said. Teju glared at her and they all laughed.
Teju: If you knew why didn't you wish me all day!?Especially you Four?." She said, pointing towards Adi, Harshad, Vidhi and Sam. And mumma, papa and Pra? Pra didn't even call me.
Adi: Ask your boyfriend." Adi said. She looked up at Karan confused and he passed her a sheepish smile. Sam: Your boyfriend had given us strict instructions to not wish you before he does tonight." Sam explained. Teju in her mind: So that explains the zero wishes until now. She looked back at Karan and saw him looking around sheepishly.
Vidhi: We took you to my house as they had to decorate this place.
Teju: Now it all makes sense except one thing. How did you reach here before me?" She asked.
Vidhi: Maybe because we told the driver to take you through the way full of traffic.
Teju: Now everything makes sense!
Vidhi: You guys know she was killing us through her eyes because we didn't wish her. Her whole mood was off the whole day. She was seriously mad at you Karan. She kept checking her phone in between when we were out. If you hadn't wished her by midnight you would've definitely been murdered tonight." Vidhi said, laughing. Karan took a step towards her and teju's mumma came towards her.
Tm: Don't trouble my daughter. It's her birthday today." She stuck her tongue out at vidhi while she huffed.
Sam: Can we cut the cake now! I'm starving!" Sam groaned. They all agreed and dragged her towards the cake. Vidhi handed her a knife and she looked over and saw Karan standing behind her. She held his hand and placed it on the knife.
Karan: Make a wish." He whispered slowly" she closed her eyes and wished for Karan to always be happy and safe. She blew out the candles and cut the cake with Karan. They all sang happy birthday while she was smiling.
She took the piece of cake and turned towards Karan, feeding it to him first. He fed it back to her with a smile and both Sam and Vidhi said "Oh ho!"
Teju: You both wait and watch. When it's your turn I'll tease you double." She said, making them automatically shut up.
She then fed the cake to everyone and they all fed it back to her. They all ate and had an amazing time talking and taking pictures. They all had even given her beautiful gifts. For her gifts aren't everything. It's the love the people put into the gift. She's happy with just a birthday wish and no gift. This was the first time she had all her friends and family together for her birthday and especially Karan but of course she missed Pra on her birthday but they video called him and talked to him with the rest of the family.