Mission.

Tanjiro had gone on a mission two months ago, you still hadn't gotten any news about or from him. You had sent dozens of letters to him, but no response. It was freezing cold, you were sitting in your futon, writing another letter when suddenly, Inosuke and Zenitsu barged in.

"You're back! Where's Tanjiro?"

"He's still coming, don't worry

"We wanted to deliver good and bad news."

"You can tell me over dinner.

Zenitsu nodded slightly and read over your letter.

"I guess you really missed him."

"Boy did I."

You started cooking udon and when you were finished, Tanjiro was home.

You jumped into his arms, placing kisses all over his face, not going near his lips incase he didn't approve of that.

"Did you really miss me that much?"

"Yes I really did!"

"I missed you just as much."

His soft and warm lips touched yours, leaving your face beet red. Once you pulled apart, he smiled and looked over at the udon.

"What are you cooking?"

"Udon.'

You guessed udon was a magic word of some sort, because as soon as you said it, the boys got on their knees and started begging for some.

"Sit down, boys."

They all sat down obediently, and you gave them each a bowl of udon. You then sat down next to Tanjiro, ruffled his hair and began eating. After you were all finished, you layed out two more futons, Zenitsu and Inosuke got comfortable in them right away, and fell asleep.

"Where am I going to sleep?"

"Ehm..right...I only have three futons.."

"Then we can just share one."

You blushed a bit.

"Sounds good to me."

You both got changed into pajamas in seperate rooms, and got settled up in the futon. You kissed Tanjiro on the forehead, and closed your eyes. Tanjiro then wrapped his arm around you and pulled you closer, and kissed you. You cuddled all night, you had felt warm, and he did too.

In the morning, you woke up to see Tanjiro looking at you.

"Good morning."

"Morning."

You ruffled his hair, got up and made onigiri , the smell making its way to Zeniteu and Inosukes nose. They bolted up and each took two, even Tanjiro did.
You grabbed two and ate them. But Inosuke and Zenitsu gobbled them down like the pigs they are.

"Alright. Do you want the bad news or the good news first?"

"Good news!"

"Alrighty, Rengoku is giving you his haori!"

He unfolded the haori and layed it over your shoulders as you gazed at it in amazement

"I wonder why he gave it to me."

"And thats where the bad news comes in."

You raised a brow, thinking he retired.

Tanjiro started tearing up. "Rengoku..was killed."

Tears poured down your face like waterfalls, soaking Tanjiro's uniform as he held you against his chest. Your grip grew tighter on his haori as he told you that uppermoon three, Akaza, had done it.

Authors note:

this almost made me cry 🥲
I was going to.put this instead but nah-
Tears began forming in Tanjiros eyes.
"Rengoku was....the newest donut on the dunkin donuts menu.."
RENG🍩KU LIVES ON
SET YOUR HEART ABLAZE!!

w🍩rd c💦unt: 541